Xk 140 relay position

Hi i am restoring a 1955 xk140 SE with overdrive which has only one relay for its operation(no kickdown).Where does this relay normaly go.I can put it anywhere but it must of had a origonal mounting spot.Also my H8 carbies have no place for the vacuum pipe from the distributor.ANY suggestions REGARDS JOHN

John,

My 1955 XK 140 FHC has the (single) relay positioned as shown on photo below.
Cannot help you with your other question regarding the vacuum connection of H8 carbs: although they use a different Distributor Lucas 40293A, the vacuum unit is identical to the standard Distributor so they do require a vacuum line (note that some “race” engines run without vacuum advance). Assume other listers (with H8 carbs) can help you.

Bob K.

John,
When factory fitted H8 carburetters as original equipment to an XK140, most were being fitted to cars with 9:1 compression ratio engines (part of competion/ race likely use specifications), and they were supplied with a special distributor that did not have any vacuum advance, and thus no need for any vacuum fitting/tapping on the associated H8 carburetters.
Very rarely, and I mean VERY rarely, the factory did supply H8 carbs with 8:1 cr engine, and these used another distributor with normal vacuum advance provision, thus one H8 carb (one only) did have the required vacuum fitting/tapping.
I have photos at home, but not handy.
Keep in mind factory H8 installations were very rare, with the vast majority of XK 140 now with H8 being aftermarket modifications of very variable accuracy, from reasonably authentic, to hot rod standard.There is a lot more to an authentic H8 installation than just bolting on two aftermarket original H8 carbs, or dare I say the mediocre quality reproduction H8 readily available.
And of course NO XK120 ever had factory original H8 carbs fitted as new original equipment.
Roger

thanks Bob keeps everything together
John

Roger thanks for the info mine is a 1955 Xk140MC vin S814191DN originally delivered with overdrive ,spoke wheels,driving lights etc C type head JOHN

John,
What is your XK140’'s Engine Number.Did it come originally with H8 or H6 carburetters. The 99% majority came ex factory with H6, albeit I am unaware of any definitive factory records yet located that advise which XK140 MC were fitted from new with H8 carburetters.
What is source of the H8 carbs you are wanting to fit, or if original refit?
Whether H6 or H8, can you advise for both carburetters exactly what letters and numbers are stamped into the top flange of their main body casting, where the carburetter mounts onto the inlet manifold. All SU original H8 will have this stamping, but aftermarket reproduction H8 offered by Burlen UK, and their various retail outlets have no stamping.
And if accessible - near impossible if still fitted to engine - can you advise exact part number stamping on your distributors cast body. All numbers you can see.
It’s all easy enough to work out what you need to complete an accurate H8 installation, albeit need to know exactly what you gave and are starting with.
Roger

ROGER e no G3294-8S .YES the H8swere origonally on the car including
choke cable . also the distributor mounting bracket is for the H8s
Nos on flange M1 L10 casting nos on chambers 4866
distributor DVX6A 40199E
GC48(arrow)456
JOHN

John,

Without wanting to interfere in your carburetor discussion with Roger, your distributor 40199E is incorrect (according most Jaguar papers) for use in combination with H8 carbs. If these H8’s had been installed ex-factory the correct distributor would be either 40293A in combination with 8:1 CR or 40445A when your engine would have the 9:1 CR. The present 40199E is the correct version for your engine G3294-8S with H6 carbs and C-type head, although the distributor date code 4 56 indicates that it has already been replaced somewhere in the past (your engine dates from April 1955).
Roger will probably be able to tell you more about the (later added?) H8 carbs.

John,
I will be home in about two weeks, with full access to all my records, so will be able to fully identify what you have.Thanks for detail so far.
In the mean time are you able to send detailed photos, different angles of both your carburetters including linkages, and indeed choke cable, and choke knob. photos of underside of both carbies will be most useful if that view is accessible, and also the cast in number on the side of both main bodies.
Send photos direct to rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au if that’s easier/preferable.

Thanks,
Roger

Hi John, I am working on our new book covering all XK140s in Australia and quite a few other places. I would love to be in direct touch with you to find out more about your car! Would you care to email me on Elmgreen at ihug.com.au? I omitted the “@” deliberately. Look forward to hearing from you!

Hi JOHN no problems feel free to email or phone 0412799529
REGARDS JOHN