XK 140 Windscreen Side Pillars

Greetings All,

It is unlikely the chrome was of inferior quality.

It is a guarantee that the original die metal casting is what failed.

Replacing the die cast zinc part with a red brass component will take care of the problem but it means having the part made correctly as opposed to original.

lots of our west coast cars suffered galvanic action produces cracking, swelling. they can be stripped and be repaired, welded, metal sprayed, anodized better and any colour.i fuound a good pair took off plating, hand cleaned and they look very unusual and deco? evening entertainment at home those long wet evenings?

I quick note here Morrisā€¦ Upon installation of the windshield posts, youā€™ll note that the upper bold is aimed right at the underside of the scuttle. Mind the length of that bolt lest you raise a dent.

1 Like

I had always supposed that the original windscreen pillars and tail light housings were aluminiumā€¦?

Cast alloy of some kind. Most of the chrome on mine peeled off quite easily, whitish powder beneath, but very smooth surface. Still out to plating, due in a few more weeks.

Yes, cast aluminum alloy, as are the tail lamp pods. Iā€™ve recently had mine replated. Original plating jobs were marginal and the plating had a tendency to slough off completely - I have seen cars on which the side pillars have been polished, ie no chrome.

Mine are just polished aluminum as are the tail lights. Itā€™s not an unpleasant look. Maybe Iā€™ll get around to chroming them one dayā€¦

slghtly ot- is there a jobber in uk that can supply those nifty clip on roadster style mirrors as i have been given the run around xmosksā€¦ ?