[xk] Call for TRIPLEX logo on windshield on '51, '52, '54, '57, '60

Rob,

Could you take a good shot of the '49 logo??

What is very interesting, is that the only XK120 '49 logo I have is of TOUGHENED glass, which was installed in the first XKs I believe…

Tadek

Thanks, Roger, I had forgotten we had discussed the kite mark a few years ago.
Tadek, here is the 1949 mark.

On Mark V the windshield glass for USA only was BD2691 which is marked PLATE, where the glass for all other countries was BD1888, which was probably TOUGHENED.

On alloy 120 the windshield glass for USA only was BD3237, where the glass for all other countries was BD3019, again probably the difference being PLATE vs TOUGHENED. Apparently they used the USA type BD3237 for all cars later on, or at least that’s what they supplied for replacements.
120 FHC had only one choice, though there was and early and later size.
120 DHC had only one choice, the same as later FHC.
Mark VII had two choices, TOUGHENED, and LAMINATED FOR EXPORT PURPOSES.
So presumably they did the USA version across the board as more countries required it or maybe just to simplify things.

Many thanks Rob.

Do you know the production date on the Mk V?

Tadek

My Mark V despatch date is 18 April 1950.
The windshield is not original to the car, but came from another car in the Chicago suburbs that was parted out.
All my other glass is I believe original to the car.

Thanks Rob.

Anyone has an idea what the dot could be in the middle of the XXX??

It’s mostly on side glass, but not always.

Tadek

A52 Q4 '53 MGTD

A56

S62 S1 #888330, March 1963

Roger

I am a little surprised at the logo for a 1932/3 car

On SS 'Jaguars the early cars had a "Giltedge toughened"logo which was replaced later in the 30s by ‘Lancagaye toughened’ although perhaps the Rolls Royce owner had different needs.

We had a local glass place download the graphics. They are an international franchise and can[ have ] emailed it to overseas branches for people to use in ‘’ Places that aren’t Australia.’’

XJ6

Logo on back window glass of aluminum XK120 roadster 660002 if I read it correctly it is 1948?

Wow, Terry, could you shot the entire screen please?

It’s Q3 '48.

Tadek

Ed,

The photo I showed of TRIPLEX 1930s glass was on an extremely original/unrestored Phantom 2 Rolls Royce sedan.
Presumably the GILTEDGE and LANCEGAYE photos you have from 1930s SS Glass, are from other period UK glass manufacturers - you would know better than anyone else.
Be worth googling to see who they were?

Roger

Both worked out.

Lancegaye Safety Glass

of The Palace of Industry, Wembley
1937 Safety glass manufacturers. “Lancegaye” Safety Glass.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1939 Triplex Safety Glass Co acquired control of Lancegaye Safety Glass (1934) Ltd. and its subsidiary Gilt Edge Safety Glass Syndicate by purchasing more than 90 per cent of Lancegaye’s share capital.

So that pretty well says TRIPLEX as a brand of Glass was not relevant to SS Jaguar and then Jaguar until 1939/40.
Per chance ED, any photos of the glass on the 1940 SS-Jaguar Saloon you restored?

There is quite a lot on LANCEGAYE re other 1930s cars, not just SS-Jaguar. One google hit shows near identical LANCEGAYE TOUGHENED glass photo on a Lancia side window, and some other obscure Italian glass for windscreen.

Roger

The pic of Lancegaye I posted was from the 1940 car . I would assume that old stacksof Lance gaye weren’t got rid, of but used until Triplex branded glass came in
I think also the 1940 cars were made up of parts still lying round the factory, to an extent.

unfortunately dug it out took photo and packed it away! usually I do leave stuff on the bench MKIV and MKV sallon should have the same logo on glass in back window
terry

Ed, Roger, et al:

Here is more on Lancegaye and Gilt Edge with regard to Triplex:

Triplex was probably the leading British safety glass manufacturer from its incorporation in 1922 and certainly by 1928 when Pilkington acquired its first interest. The competitors in the 1920s were small concerns.
With one of the more important of these Triplex made a marketsharing agreement in 1932 but in the following year purchased its assets and goodwill and closed down the factory. In the middle 1930s, as has been mentioned, Triplex met competition from toughened sheet; this was
for the most, part made from raw sheet imported from Belgium. One of the competitors operating in this way was Lancegaye Safety Glass (1934) Ltd.
Triplex was involved in a number of law suits with this company and its subsidiary, Gilt Edge Safety Glass Syndicate, concerning patent infringements. These were followed by negotiations which led, in 1939, to Triplex acquiring control of Lancegaye and Gilt Edge by purchasing more
than 90 per cent of Lancegaye’s share capital. Gilt Edge’s factory was requisitioned by the Government during the war and has not since been used for safety glass, but Lancegaye continued to sell safety glass under its own name until 1946. Another of Triplex’s competitors was British Indestructo Glass Ltd., which had been incorporated in 1929. Until 1939
this company made only flat laminated glass and it was only after the war that its competition with Triplex became a really significant factor.

In 1964 Triplex acquired the entire share capital of Lancegaye Safety Glass (Ireland) Ltd, a company in which Lancegaye Safety Glass (1934) Ltd. had formerly held a minority
interest, though this had been given up in 1947. This company produces safety glass primarily for its own home market but is’ also regarded as ’ a useful second source of supply if TSG capacity became overstretched’.

This is a quote from a book, however I only have one chapter of the book which deals with Triplex Holdings. No idea about the title though.

Tadek

Terry, if you find any earlier logos in your little goldmine, please be so kind as to make a photo…

:slight_smile:
Tadek

Here is a Mark V rear window from the same parted out car that had the 1949 windshield. The original rear window from my 1950 car has the same logo but it is so faint that I could not get a good picture of it.
Presumably a 1949-50 XK120 OTS rear window would be the same.

It is on the inside of the glass, very faint but readable from the outside.
Of course it is symmetrical so could be installed the other way.
I did not see any indication of a year or quarter on either one.

Rob,

There is a chance it’s a '50 glass - 1950 would have no ‘year’ dot.

The quarter dot could be less visible.

Tadek

Do we know what font style these Triplex etching use?
Regards Jordy

Hi,

I have no Idea – I had to design the font myself.

Cheers, Tadek

Triplex logo on S/H XK150 screen