XK coupe W/ sunroof?

Was the XK offered with an optional sunroof in the coupe?

Not that I know of for the original body style. I have owned 2 coupes. 97 & 02. I can tell you that these cars do not have much head room to start with for anyone taller than 6 feet. The head liner board hugs the inner side of the body shell with maybe 2 inches between the outside of the car and the inner surface of the hear liner fabric. This leaves little room for a sun roof mechanism. Someone may respond to say it’s out there and I’ll be the first to be surprised if Jag offered an optional sun roof on the first generation XK.

Hey Bob,
I suspected as much as they did look a bit tight as you said. I’m a sucker for a sunroof though :slight_smile:
How did you like owning them. I come for the XJ6 and 8 sedans.
Cheers,
Jeff

I own a 98 convertible and I love it. I’ve doubled the mileage on I since buying it 2 1/2 years ago.

Are there any things to watch out for in a used XK? No air ride suspension or anything.

Depends on the year. On pre 2002 cars, you need to have the timing chain tensioners checked to make sure the original plastic tensioners have been replaced by metal. Convertibles may still have the original hydraulic fluid that needs to be replaced. It’s a great car; have fun.

Yes, the upper timing chain tensioner inspection (and replacement if not gen3 metal bodied) is a MUST DO! It’s also wise to replace the water pump with an aftermarket pump that has a metal impeller. The original water pump impellers have a history of getting smaller over time (bad plastic). The gradual reduction in circulation is not noticed since the temperature gauge is a placebo, not a real indicator of engine temperature. At the same time replace the two serpentine belt idler pulleys. OEM pulleys are plastic so when the bearing starts to go bad (heat build up), the plastic melts. A metal bodied direct replacement pulley is available and inexpensive. These cars also suffer from cracks/leaks in any and all plastic components in the cooling system: thermostat housing, head-to-head cross over, radiator end caps, tiny filler tank and plastic coolant tubes. The thermostat housing is probably the most problematic and aftermarket replacements are inexpensive and readily available. And one more thing, the early ZF 5HP24 transmissions had a flaw in the A-clutch drum. All tend to fracture around 100k miles. I’m not certain what years are most vulnerable but I believe this got resolved by the early 2000’s. Final noteworthy flaw, the cup holder in the arm rest is useless. Given all this, it’s a wonderful car to drive!