[xk] Disc Brakes for XK120

No, the factory did not offer disc brakes on the production cars until the
XK150 came out in 1957.
Rob Reilly - 679187

looking for a previous similar topic I found this one not sure what prompted the particular comment which is correct.
One of the most common questions I get asked “were XK120’s and XK140’s fitted with disc brakes in the 1950’s and were XK120’s raced at specific events in the late 1950’s through to say 1961 with disc brakes”
The answer to that question is yes XK120’s were raced with disc brakes but not necessarily at specific events that would then allow the fitting of disc brakes currently to allow entry into particular categories of events.
Having looked at many old adds in “The Motor” “Autosport” and “Autocar” during the 1950’s there were several XK120 and 140’s advertised with discs fitted after the XK150 was announced.
I have records of an XK120 having been fitted with disc brakes as early as 1953 a factory car but used for road work the brakes presumably C type disc brakes.
What prompted this post was I got 5 fantastic pics of [GPN635] and [MXJ954] ex Ferodo test car car and all from the Protheroe stable and pics of both cars show disc brakes and along with [CUT6] these cars all seem to have had disc brakes by 1960.
Any comments on the subject
I will be studying pics of these 3 cars in detail.

Terry, can you share the photos please?

Tadek

earliest example of XK120 with discs brakes
11 sept 1953

I don’t know if this helps at all but my first sportscar, before I bought my first XK120 FHC for £125.00, was an ex-works Triumph TR3, with a rally light through the hardtop, I remember. The registration number was SRW 993. It was fitted with Dunlop disc brakes and I was told by the previous owner that it had been a “Dunlop test car”. Presumably in 1953/4? I’ve never found it again since though…