Xk engine block compatibility

Greetings guys.

I am overhaulling a mk2 3.8 engine for a friend. I have a problem with the engine block where by between cylinder 2 and 3 it has a line crack. I have continued to remove the liners and fitted them with new liners and bore it to fit +0.30 pistons. After all is done when running the engine I encounter exsesive pressure in the water system. And after rectifying the problem I found out the liners had cracked at the same spot. Silly me to have continued with the overhaull.

Question: since I have done alot of work to the engine with new oil pump, timimg chain top and bottom, new inlet and exhaust valve, new pistons, new main and con rod bearings. And a hole lot more new staff and had spend alot of money on it. Is the any posibility just to swap the block with either a 3.4 or a 4.2 block? Are they compitable to the 3.8? It is almost imposible to get a 3.8 block here in Malaysia. Pls help if you have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance and regards to all.

Jagger2,
Wow, a MK2 Jaguar in Malaysia, that must be a rare sight!

I don’t know the answer to your question but I thought you should post this question to the Jag-Lovers “XK engine” list as well since there are some very knowledgeable members there that might not be members of the “Saloons” list.

Paul

1 Like

One way around the common block cracks is to fit new top hat cylinder sleeves. This involves a skilled machine shop. The top of the sleeve has a lip that matches a machined recess in the block. Where the cylinder sleeves over lap in between cylinders the flange is cut back on both lips to allow both to be in place without interference. This is your only option if you want to keep the 3.8 block.
Regards,
Alled

As far as I am aware the 2.4 and 3.8 blocks are interchangeable. however pistons are different

Probably you mean that 3.4 and 3.8 blocks are the same, except bore, liners, and pistons.
A 2,4 block is much lower, as the strike is a lot shorter.

Regards, Peter Jan

oops finger trouble. yes 3.4 & 3.8