XK engine distributor installation

I installed my distributor on my 1959 XK 3.4L engine. There seems to be only one way to insert it. The motor has been rebuilt and the #1 cylinder is at TDC. I am correct ? I don’t want to tighten the flex plate bolts before I am sure the distributor is installed correctly. I don’t want to lose TDC.

Yes, you just need to cognisant of the fact that #1 is at the rear on a XK. #1 and # 6 are actually both at TDC at the same time, one on the exhaust cycle and the other on the compression cycle. Obviously, you want the distributor oriented so that it is firing on the compression cycle.

Thanks. I just referenced one of my books and I’m going to make the
adjustments needed tomorrow.

Stephen

Books you consult should reflect and confirm this: Firing order makes sense to think of as 6 2 4 1 5 3, as this will be the order when setting up engine for timing with #6 at TDC on compression and firing, then follow order counter clock on distrib cap, with the distributor cap to plug wires correct (cyl 1 is toward firewall, #6 toward radiator, this is a counter-clockwise dizzy rotor rotation, with #6 distributor terminal being at 1- 2 o clock toward the front of the block/timing cover as seen from the right fender. Thus # 2 will be the next counter clockwise terminal, and so on. When the rotor is pointing at the #6 position, thus the compression/firing position, then both #6 cylinder valves should be closed: this can be confirmed several ways including air being expelled thru an open spark plug hole (a compression gauge could be used) , and by the position of the exhaust cam not being directly on the #6 exhaust tappet as observed thru the oil fill opening. The camshaft lobe will point outward. Distributor installs one way only as the dog has a slightly off set tab. Vac unit is toward rear. Then adjust distributor for the BTDC advance you want, tighten clamp…and recheck timing. True, you can set up with #1 on comp and follow order from there…but why.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you very much. That is exactly how the distributor went
in.

Stephen