[xk] Grease Gun

Hi All,

Question, when I acquired my XK120 in May, it came with 2
bins of spare parts. One item was the grease gun.

I would like to reinstall, but when my XK120 was restored in
2000 they didnt reinstall the clip holders.

It looks like there are x2 holes for each clip bracket. So
my question is, are each clip bracket held in place with x2
rivets? The new clips that I recently bought only have x1
each.

Thanks!
Bob–
'53 XK120 DHC
Memphis, TN, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

I sent Bob a pic of my original, in-situ, left inner wing grease gun clips…
Hopefully this will help.
Charles #677556.----- Original Message -----

Perfect since my inner fender has x2 holes for each clip.
Looks like I need to toss these clips and acquire the
correct ones.

Regards,
Bob
'53 XK120 DHC

In reply to a message from bobsxk120 sent Sun 3 Jan 2016:

Hi Bob,

In response to your inquiry, On my 1952 XK 120 FHC, the
two original grease gun clips are mounted each with two
rivets. They are in their factory installed positions.

Regards,

Warren Mauzy (WAR52)–
The original message included these comments:

Question, when I acquired my XK120 in May, it came with 2
It looks like there are x2 holes for each clip bracket. So
my question is, are each clip bracket held in place with x2
rivets? The new clips that I recently bought only have x1
each.

WAR52
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from WAR52 sent Sun 3 Jan 2016:

Thanks Warren,

Perfect since my inner fender has x2 holes for each clip.
Looks like I need to toss these clips and acquire the
correct ones.

Regards,
Bob–
'53 XK120 DHC

In reply to a message from cb@XKTX.Org sent Mon 4 Jan 2016:

Two rivets per clip is correct for both the early and late
clips. Both clips are shaped sort of like the Greek letter
omega but with a flat top. Both were also used on Mark VII.

The C.991 Tecalemit Plastigun body diameter is 1-7/8’’ OD and
the C.4560 Tecalemit GB2788 aluminum gun body is 1-15/32’’
diameter, so the early clip BD.3430 is a little larger than
the later BD.5211 clip. The rivet holes on the early clip
are spaced at 1/2’’ on centers, where on the later clip they
are at 7/16’’ spacing.

The Mark VII parts catalogue tells us that the larger clip
is Terry 1195/1 but does not give us a Terry number for the
smaller clip.

According to the 120 parts book the Plastigun and larger
clip were used on 120 OTS up to 660881 and either 671598 or
671600 (an unexplained discrepancy). The Plastigun was also
used on LHD FHC up to 679055. But only the smaller clip
BD.5211 is listed in the FHC book.

Which lands me in a dilemma. On the left hand upper valence
panel of my 679187 the four rivet holes for the grease gun
clips are spaced at 1/2’’ x 2’’. On the right hand valence
exactly opposite there are four identical holes in the same
pattern, suggesting that they used the same stamping die for
both sides. So it would appear that my car originally had
the larger clips and therefore a Plastigun.

I suspect this to be yet another item to add to the list of
mistakes in the parts books. Anyone else with an early FHC
want to comment?–
XK120 FHC, Mark V saloon, XJ12L Series II, S-Type 3.0

Here are some clips I have.
Both the ones with the two holes are too big for the 2788 grease gun.
(The smaller sized single hole one fits my tyre pump.)
BTW. My '54 FHC has 1/2" spaced double mounting holes on both inner wings.

Graham,
Overlooked your request re Grease Gun Clips. :slight_smile:

J.11 XK120 FHC advises 2-off BD.5211 for 669001 and subs., which is to suit C.4560 Grease Gun (Tecalemit GB.2788). Same BD.5211 is used for Mark VII supplied with same GB.2788 Grease Gun, but this time no advice of TERRY Clip model/size.
I do however have several BD.5211 original clips still rivetted onto lids of LHS Mark VII Tool Box, so easy to physically check/measure and identify from my TERRY’s period Catalogues.

They are generally of the same shape as per your photograph of three clips. All my original BD.5211 Clips, all dating from Mark VII/XK120 era, are Cadmium Plated, and have no markings/branding on them, but has two mounting holes 1/2" pitch.
Those with one single mounting hole only are shown in Terry’s Catalogues as Model 81/x, with x = 000 to 6 denoting sizes 1/4in to 2in.

Those with two mounting holes are identified as CARAVAN CLIPS, all of Model Code 1195/1, but the /1 is this time part of the model code (not size), with sizes of 1-3/4" to 6-3/4" listed as being available (1938 catalogue). Just so happens I do have a couple NOS examples, of these Model Clips, now marked TERRY’S No.1195 1-3/4"

Note, that although clearly a nominal 1-3/4" clip, the actual free standing diameter is 1-1/2", so design expects some tension/expansion holding an item (Grease Gun) of nominal 1-3/4" diameter.

A GB2788 Grease Gun is 1.455"dia, say nominal 1-7/16", thus less than smallest 1-3/4" (nominal). (actual 1-1/2" free) 1938 Catalogued Model 1195, so presumably a post-war addition to the size range (likely) or a Jaguar ‘special order’ (unlikely) or maybe a rationalisation of the single-hole Model 81/x range that does list an 81/5 (at 1-1/2" nominal) and an 81/4 (at 1-1/4" nominal).
Indeed I do have an original TERRY’S No.81/6 (as stamped on clip) that actually has two mounting holes and 1-3/4" free diameter (Whereas the cataloged No.81/6 gives a nominal 2" size)

Now as above, I do have several original BD.5211 (those I have checked are unmarked/unstamped - but I have more not yet checked), and these measure at 1-7/16" free (internal) diameter, and indeed just now checking, provides an adequate/snug grip on an actual GB2788 Grease Gun.

Now my 1941 TERRY’S Catalogue as well as listing 81/3, 81/4 and 81/5 also adds an intermediate size 81/3A at nominal 1-1/8" (3 is 1" and 4 is 1-1/4"), so I will go out on a limb and suggest by the time Jaguar ordered their BD.5211 there may well have been a two-hole 81/4A (at a nominal 1-5/8") selected as best suiting the then used GB2788 Grease Gun.
My 1959 TERRY’s Catalogue still only lists CARAVAN Clips 1195/1 as a smallest 1-3/4" size (as pictured above), so I remain happy with these Grease Gun clips, being model 81/x and pending better evidence, maybe a special order uncatalogued 81/4A (2-holes, nominal 1-5/8, actual free 1-7/16")

It is possible of course that these BD.5211 clips were not in fact made/supplied by TERRY’s (given originals are unmarked, and not apparently included in any of my period TERRY’s catalogues (1932, 1938, 1941, 1959)

My original BD.5211 clips are spring-steel Cadmium Plated - made of strip .432" wide (7/16in), with the outer end corners cut square, and not with a rounded corner as per TERRY’s 80/x, 81/x and 1195/1 model clips, but otherwise have a similar profile shape to the 80/x TERRY clips. The two holes are exactly 1/2" pitch. TERRYs were certainly the dominant supplier, but Here were of course other UK suppliers of spring clips during XK120 period, such as SALTER for instance, but I dont have anything on hand.

I dont know what is currently offered/available similar to a BD.5211, but otherwise maybe thye best solution is to source a couple original BD.5211 from a Mark VII Tool Box lid.

Exact location of Clips for GB2788 Grease Gun - you have your original holes, with pairs at 1/2" pitch to suit clips - if you get a chance, you may draw up a template to ensure correct location based on other fixed reference points. In the mean time, attached pic was just one quickly found (not great) of an original mounted GB2788 in a mid 1954 OTS…

GB2788%20-%20XK120%201954

PS. Whilst talking GB2788 Grease Guns, Jaguar Part No. C.4560, there were of course three variants supplied to Jaguar over the Mark VII/XK120/XK140 period that I call C.4560/a, C.4560/b and C.4560/c based on having three different Connectors fitted on the end of the delivery tube (Main body and end cap all the same).

Roger

Rob,
I measure up my original BD.5211 clips as used for GB2788 Grease Gun having a 1/2" pitch for two mounting holes (as per you advise holes in your valence). If you have clips that holes measure 7/16" pitch, probably not original BD.5211 clips. 679187 would not have originally received a Plastigun, so don’t think there is a J.8 SPC error, but agree J.11 omits reference to BD.3430 clips for 679001 to 679055. The 671598/671600 misalignment may not be an error, but a case of introducing the new clips two cars prior to the new Grease Gun - will have to try and see if the clips will spread that wide, or await inspection of those two XK120s :slight_smile:
Roger

Ah, more of our never ending quest to nail down every last detail of these wonderful cars.
Here are my Plastigun and GB2788 with the clips that were on them as found.

Terry clips on the Plastigun hole pitch 1/2" and rounded corner tips.
Clips on the GB2788 hole pitch 7/16" with rivets and square cut tips, so very possibly not Terry brand.

Holes in the right side valence between the air cleaner hoses.

Holes in the left side valence, a bit mangled up by a DPO.

Rob,

Just realised…
Your photo of the GB2788 Grease Gun with its unbranded/square corner clips looks exactly as some six or so, I have still affixed to Mark VII tool box lids.
Your photo appears to show having solid rivets, and not pop-rivets which is a detail I was not really comfortable with, based on research to date.

The Mark VII SPC identifies these two BD.5211 Clips as being secured by four BD.1814/1 Rivets onto the steel lid of the LHS Tool Box. Given my 12 original BD.1814/1 rivets I am happy I have correctly identified these.
The XK120 SPC is not so clear as to exact Rivets used to secure the two BD.5211 Clips (when holding a GB2788 Grease Gun)
The XK120 Tyre Pump clips BD.3434 x2 are advised being secured by Pop Rivets (x8) of the same BD.1814/1 part number, thus I had assumed the extra 4 BD.1814/1 Pop Rivets were for the Gresae Gun clips. So a problem with how these parts are laid out/ordered in SPC, but the issue now is BD.1814/1 cannot be both a pop-rivet and a solid rivet.

Is your GB2788 Grease Gun/Clips definitely ex XK120?
And are they definitely solid rivets and not pop-rivets?

Definitely they are round head solid rivets, not pop rivets in those two clips.
They’re rather mangled, but probably 1/8" diameter and 3/16" length measured under the head.
I cannot be certain what model car the GB2788 came from, but the clips came with it, and have no markings whatsoever.