XK Introduction

Hi,
Wanted to introduce myself. I do not have a Jag myself. My Father has two 54 XK-120 OTS. He is not computer savvy. His first one was bought in the 1970’s and restored in the late 80’s. the second one he bought in the 90’s and it was completed in 2014. He also has quite a few parts. My main reason for joining is we are wanting to sell the one restored in 2014. I will get some pictures and info up soon. At some point in the near future the parts will go up for sale. My dad needs to start downsizing for a move. Hopefully I can find some guidance from this site.

Good to meet you Matt !

Welcome.
There are a lot of great folks here that are eager to help any enthusiast for these great old cars. Most of all we all appreciate when the cars are still on the road ! I’ve got a 54 120 same as yours and a 67 E-type that are both under restoration.

All the best ,
Kevin

Hello Matt, and welcome.
Yes this is a fantastic forum for tips and information how to restore or repair your car. However, I think you are asking where is a good site to sell your parts.
I would suggest Ebay, listing many of the parts separately and also listing your car. Make sure you take plenty of photographs and as complete a description as possible.
You can get an idea of asking prices by either checking prices for similar items on eBay, or asking members here.
You can also post on this forum. This forum is likely the most concentrated focus for parties who might be interested in your car or parts, however, I am not certain that you would get the most aggressive pricing – a situation that is common to most enthusiasts’ forums.

Craigslist is also a very good site to advertise your car and parts, as people who are interested in these rare cars and parts, like myself, tend to search on the Nationwide Craigslist. So just because you advertise in some small city in the states does not mean that others across the nation do not have visibility on the ad.

I, for one, will be watching with interest. Keep us posted with not only what items you have, but also where you will be advertising.

Hello, and welcome.

Please be aware that you shouldn’t use the forums here to sell parts. You can use the Classified ads facility here on JL.

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I live in Northeast Ohio. I do currently have the recently restored xk120 F.S. on british cars classifieds. (Are links allowed?) If anyone looks don’t beat me up too bad. I know that there are several things that are not correct, Its the only pastel blue 54 on there. I have been watching e-bay for about a year and it seems the xk-120’s don’t do too well. I’ve seen several nicely restored examples with reserves of around 100K and the bidding stalls out around 50-60K. I have seen several very rough examples needing a full restoration and the bidding gets up to 30-40K and reserve is not met. I don’t know what some of these sellers are thinking. Crazy when you consider how much it will cost to restore everything. We all know it isn’t cheap.

We’re ok with people posting a link to an ad.

Take a look at the recent auction on BaT of the XK120 FHC. $150k is not bad… :slight_smile:

I can never again seeing myself using eBait to sell a car: Bring a Trailer is far and away a better, less-expensive resource.

I might suggest you cancel the eBait sd, and list it there.

I agree with Wiggles that Bring a Trailer seems a much better resource to use for selling your classic car. However, you really need to prepare properly. Unlike Ebay, Bring a Trailer does not relist cars very often. You are likely to get only one shot. So, you need to prepare a good set of photos, and set a realistic Reserve. Many sellers provide short videos of a cold start, a short drive, and/or a walk around the car. You also need to be prepared to answer questions from potential buyers (as well as a load of tire kickers) online in a timely fashion. If you want to see how not to sell a car on BAT, take a look at the (non)sale of a 2008 XKR at the end of January (just scroll though the current auctions, and recently completed auctions are displayed at the bottom). The audience can be tough, and if your car has questionable issues, expect them to be exposed, and if you don’t respond well your bidders may evaporate. As with any auction, it’s a matter of who “shows up” to bid, so many cars go for bargain prices. On the other hand, some cars (like the recent XK120 FHC) seem to go for more than might have been expected. I get the impression that these days, many folks only use Ebay to advertise their cars, and set unrealistic reserves so that they never sell (and have to pay Ebay). You pay $99 to offer a car on BAT, and the buyer pays 5% commission up to a cap of $5K.

-David

It is especially important to be VERY interactive on BaT: I answered questions directly, contemporaneously, and was completely upfront about Tweety’s condition and history.

My car is not on fleabay. I’ve been watching and the XK’s just don’t seem to move on there. I’ll give BAT some serious thought. I’ll have to wait for the weather to break here in ohio. I should arrange to get it on a lift and get some good pics underneath, as well as a video. I currently have it on www.britishcarclassifieds.com Anyone familiar with that site? Any luck with it?