[xk] Re: XK120 Tyre Pumps

Roger,

Could you remind me (us) who was the manufacturer of the pump?

Was it Sutty?

I am trying to locate a pump for my Healey Frogeye - it had a Sutty pump. Trouble is that the pump was manufactured in 3 lengths - it’s exactly the same except for the cylinder/piston lengh.

I am wondering if the Jaguar pump manufacturer also had different length options.

Tadek

Hi Alan,

This sump protector is looking great (and rare)!
Do you think you could properly dimension it for us?

Tadek

Tadek,

Just for information: Viart mentioned SJS under a picture he made of the XK 120 pump in his book XK 120 Explored. I only know this company as Smiths Jacking Systems.

But as the drawing of the Pump is put just above the one of the Jack on the same page, it might well be just an error.

Bob K.

1 Like

Wow!

It looks exactly like the one I found mounted in the ONLY MKIX ever sold new in Finland, a 1960 MKIX registered in Helsinki in 1961 for the Argentinian embassy.

Cheers!

My extra pumps are available, 24 inch long, they do not fit in my alloy xk120s.

Mike

Is the upper pump in the pic correct for a later XK120, Mike?

Here is mine, although not original to the car.

Nick,
Memories fade, will fit I think but is probably not correct.
Mike

The sump protector is pictured on P. 399 of Viart, but he doesn’t give dimensions. I am too unskilled to add dimension to a picture, but I can describe. The piece is 24" wide and 24" long at the widest and longest point, but the wide point is across 2 “wings” and the long point is across a “tongue”. The tongue is 11" wide where it joins the wings, and tapers to 8" wide at the end. The 3 holes are 2" in diameter, and the near edge is 6 1/2" from the end of the tongue. The tongue is 15" long from where it joins the wings to the end. Each with tapers from 5 1/2" wide at the outer edge to 9" wide where it joins the tongue. I hope that s enough info to add dimensions to a picture. Apologies for my lack of skill in illustration. Alan.

Looks close. Originals are very hard to find, and pricey when you do find one.

Re: Sump Guard
I can furnish exact dimensions Tadek

Harold Lang

2 Likes

Neither pictured pump is correct XK120, and without further details i cant say how close or otherwise these are…

XK120 EXPLORED is not a reliable reference for correct in detail XK120 tools, and should be seen as a general overview at best…

Tadek, I am currently in Kyrgyzstan with limited internet access, and wont be home to mid june. Can reply with more detail and pictures then. But XK120 tyre pumps are unbranded and not Sutty… the prewar SS Jaguar tyre pumps, similar to XK120 were branded VEVO stamped into end of one or both folding feet. As far as i have determined the XK120 pump was the fifth variant of this Ss/Jaguar pump as used in late 1949/50 Mark V, and for the first XK120 built up to at least then end of 1953, and probably early 1954. With a slightly different sixth variant used for the last 1954 XK120 only. The first variant was introduced in 1936 SS Jaguar

Roger,
Any XK’s in Kyrgyzstan?

Maybe tucked away somewhere, but nothing remotely old or British on roads and in towns and villages, Have seen one Jaguar only in Bishkek, about a five year old XE. Dominated by Ladas. With base model german cars next.

Wow, Roger, if you are trying to get to Ukraine (that’s where the action is here now) from there, you are too far away!! :wink:

Safe travels!

Tadek