XK series 3 engine camshaft lubrication and oil pump coupler

I was not successful finding information that I am seeking. I have two Questions.

1. my 1986 engine that has been rebuilt was having various problems. I took off the head to check a few thing. I took the head to a machine shop. It seems that I was not having proper lubrication to my camshaft bearings. My camshafts were reground. They have no plugs fit into the flange side of the camshafts. The other ends take either have a tach drive one one camshaft and the other has a threaded end to have an oil slinger bolted in.

As far as I can tell the oil goes into the camshaft through the rear. My machinist told me that I would not get proper lubrication becasuse there was no plug in the front of the camshafts. Is this correct? Was a plug supposed to be reinstalled on these front holes?

1. I installed a new gear that drives the oil pump and distributor,(long story) I noticed that when I drive the bushing for the drive assembly all the wayup making contact with the engine block, that their is quite a bit of play in the coupler that drives the oil pump. I am guessing about an 1/8 of an inch. The coupler can be moved up and down quite easily. This play can be eliminated entirely by pushing the bushing down through the distributor hole. This would leave a gap between the bushing and engine of approximately the same distance.

My guess is that the first way I had it installed, where the bushing is driven all the way up against the engine block and their is the play on the coupler is the correct position but am puzzled by this free movement of the coupler. Can someone please enlighten me.

Thank you in advance
Holden
holdenwallace@hotmail.com

Hi , I know the series 2 cams have plugs both ends , I drilled one out to fit a tach drive , and the over end I knocked the plug out to clean the oil ways out , then replaced it !

Hello .
Have you fitted the thrust washer to the position indicated?
Peter B

Yes I used the thrush washer. I will try at attach a picture. As you will notice in this position, there is a gap at the top of the bushing .The coupler has no play in this position. I do not have a picture of the bushing pushed all the way against the engine. Again, should there be some play in this coupler or should it fist snug? If so, maybe there are longer couplers on some engines.
Thanks
Holden

Aha! comprehension!
Free play is normal. Bush should be fully home.
Peter B.

Thank you, I thought that was proper but wanted to confirm. Do you know anything about the camshaft ends. Do they need to be plugged to get the proper lubrication?
Thanks again!
Holden

Yes , need to be plugged.
Peter B.

Do you put a plug in both ends? the rear has threaded inlet, Do these require plugs below the threaded area?
Thanks again.
Holden

PS. I should have figured out the bushing question, I figured out the distributor drive will not reach the female slot to drive it unless the bushing is pushed all the way in.

The threaded end is to accept either a rev counter drive or a oil thrower
held with a 3/8 UNF setscrew. The later engines omitted the oil thrower.
Just screw in a 3/8 setscrew with a copper washer.
Peter B.

Peter
Thanks, that sounds perfect. Mine is a later motor and I did not remember it having an oil thrower on it like an earlier motor.
Holden

Was one camshaft missing a plug…either screw-in or press-in…at the rear? That would explain poor oiling to that particular camshaft(low pressure). As to “fixing” an oil pressure problem due to missing plugs in the FRONT of the shafts, look elsewhere…the serrated plates effectively seal the cams’ front oil galley(s).