kit I bought is too thick and very difficult if not impossible to trim to a
uniform size. "

Bill,
I had the same problem, but fortunately didn’t break the glass. The vent
seal rubber from the usual vendors is way too thick. Why? I don’t know. But
I spent a lot of time grinding down the rubber…not an easy task. I used
my Dremel tool and sharp knives. When I finally got a fit, I glued them in
place with weatherstrip adhesive and closed the vent windows tightly for a
week or so to let the rubber get used to the fit.

Same thing with the window channel felt for the FHC. Way too thick. I
tried cutting it to size and finally said the hell with it and re-used the old
material.

Carl Hanson
Bedford, MA
1951 Jaguar XK120 FHC #679012

**************An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585065x1201462786/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)

Thanks Carl. Looks like the hard way is the only way. It’s always good to
know you’re not missing an easy solution.
Bill
54 XK 120 DHC-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xk@jag-lovers.org [mailto:owner-xk@jag-lovers.org]On Behalf
Of CHansonjag@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:09 AM
To: xk@jag-lovers.org
Subject: [xk] Vent window seals

Bill Hutchison wrote: "I’m having a hard time fitting the quarter vents in
an XK 120 DHC. The seal
kit I bought is too thick and very difficult if not impossible to trim to a
uniform size. "

Bill,
I had the same problem, but fortunately didn’t break the glass. The vent
seal rubber from the usual vendors is way too thick. Why? I don’t know.
But
I spent a lot of time grinding down the rubber…not an easy task. I used
my Dremel tool and sharp knives. When I finally got a fit, I glued them in
place with weatherstrip adhesive and closed the vent windows tightly for a
week or so to let the rubber get used to the fit.

Same thing with the window channel felt for the FHC. Way too thick. I
tried cutting it to size and finally said the hell with it and re-used the
old
material.

Carl Hanson
Bedford, MA
1951 Jaguar XK120 FHC #679012

**************An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585065x1201462786/aol?redir=htt
p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
eExcfooterNO62)

In reply to a message from CHansonjag@AOL.COM sent Sat 27 Jun 2009:

I got my first set of seals from Moss Motors about 20 years ago,
and they fit fine, but I doubt they even stock them any longer. I
got my second set from an Eastern European company about 4 years
ago, and they fit perfectly. The second source used to advertise on
Ebay, but I haven’t seen their listing for some time. Both sets
initially appeared to be too thick, but when forced into the
channel around the glass (with the help of some silicone spray and
a blunt screw driver), they snapped into place. The seals are
tight, without the need of any weatherstrip adhesive, but require a
light coating of silicone (Sil-Glide) for the vents to open and
close easily.
Neither set came with the rubber lip seal for the back of the
glass. Bill Bassett sells that by the foot for just a few dollars.
NAYYY.
Joel–
ex jag, '66 E-type S1 4.2, '56 XK140dhc, '97 XJ-6
Denison, TX, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

I don’t know if this is of any use to anyone but I have had the same problem and after much gnashing of teeth and cursing I finally came up with a way that seems to work at the moment. I used the Alpha glue recommended then clamped the seal into the channel using a small strip of wood along the top side of the seal and 2 G clamps to force the seal down into the channel, left it overnight to let the glue stabilise and it seems to have worked, so far! Photo below

My 53 XK120FHC vent windows weatherstripping was put in 20 years ago and I thought the too-tight fit would eventually settle down and allow the vent windows to open and close easily. Not so, they’re still too tight, just like when first installed. We haven’t broken a window, but they are still best opened and closed carefully using two hands. In 20:20 hindsight it would have been worth it to spend a day carefully grinding them to fit better, these are the kind of things that bug you after (otherwise happily) living with the most beautiful car in the world car for 25 years.

Dave, you have convinced me to revisit my frames and pare down the rubber some more. Like you, I need two hands to open them, but luckily they are not installed in the car yet.

I had hoped they would loosen up, but that now sounds to be wishful thinking.

Sorry to be the one who convinced you to take a step back. But for me the good advice given by this group has been really valuable over the years. This point is comparable to the advice given to people who are renovating their house. There are three considerations; time, quality, money; pick any two, unless you are incredibly lucky you don’t get three. For years afterwards, which will you remember? Quality is the one that is in your face every single time you use it. and if at least you haven’t gone broke doing it, the time taken and the money spent is pretty quickly forgotten.

1 Like

Now that I have finally put the new seals in place and spent hours clamping them I have to report, just like you guys, I cannot open the vent without 2 hands and the seal will still pop out of the channel. I think it is back to the drawing board!
The only thing that has been a success is the felt for the main window slider. The replacement felt was far too thick, 5mm, and when put into the channel the window glass would not enter the felt at all. I searched the web and found a supplier who advertised 3mm x 25mm felt at £3.00 a meter. I ordered some and it is absolutely perfect, the product is first class and the glass fits snuggly in the groove, and the felt is black!
If anyone needs it there is a copy of the invoice with address below.
Sales Invoice Car builder.pdf (60.7 KB)

I have started the other vent window but before I started I did some research on how to rejuvenate old, hard rubber seals.
I have to report a startling success. I found a number of posts on the web from people who have rejuvenated their old rubber seals that had gone hard, just like mine.
All the posts suggested the following:

1. Heat the old seals to about 100 deg c for 10 minutes, either by a) boiling them in water, or, b) heating them with a hair dryer for 10 mins, or c) putting them in the oven at 100 deg c for 10 minutes, then
  2. When the seals have cooled treat them with a rubber enhancer or apply silicon grease/oil
  3. The heat makes the rubber soft and pliable again and the application of the treatment means that the rubber will stay soft for a longer period.
    I heated mine with a hair dryer and lo and behold the seals became soft and pliable, I then cleaned them with a soft toothbrush as the heat seemed to loosen all the age hardened dirt, and after that I applied silicon oil.
    The result is fantastic, they are like new seals with nice shiny, soft, black rubber. A hell of a lot easier and cheaper than spending hours trying to put in the replacement seals. I’ve re-inserted the vent window and it opens and closes perfectly.