[xk] XK120 dual exhaust system

I’ll work on this but don’t know how to post a jpg. The lettering is
around the curved side so a good shot may be a challenge.

Here is a Burgess muffler for XK120SE.

As you can see here, the letters are raised.

This is the rear hanger bracket.

I bought it as NOS from Bob Zimmer in about 1983. It was painted silver and had a black stencil number on it which has since faded off.

1 Like

Rob,

I have learnt something today. Burgess were well known aftermarket exhaust manufacturers in the UK in the 60s and 70s and I used their products from choice along with Pico silencers in those days. I never knew that they were OEM for anyone except maybe the likes of Morgan or TVR.

So fascinating to see that they also supplied Jaguar.

Eric

Hello Rob,

Great Photos, thanks!
Any chance you could dimension it for us?..
One of the obscure details I am wondering about if you can look inside and see how big are the holes in the pipes and how dense they are…

Do you also have the rest of the exhaust?
Tadek

Tadek

Here are some measurements of the Burgess twin muffler.
Oval Body 4" x 7" x 26" with weld seam on one side and at the ends, painted silver
large raised (pressed on inside) lettering on the body
BURGESS
MADE IN ENGLAND
inlet pipe stubs 2-1/8” OD x 2" ID
outlet pipe stubs 2-1/8” OD x 2" ID
The end panels are dished to fit inside the outer shell and where the stubs pass through, which makes welding easier.

Slight differences from Bernard Viart’s picture on page 206.
He shows the seam on the top. Mine has it on the side.
He shows two 4-bolt flanges on the inlet. Mine has one big wide flange with 8 bolt holes and 2 inlet holes 2-1/8” ID where the inlet pipes are welded.
His outlet pipes show notches, but mine are straight cutoffs and shorter length.

Inside there is perforated sheet steel rolled into a tube shape and stitch welded along the seam. The holes are about 3/32" diameter and the pattern is approximately 3/16" spacing in the front to rear direction. I count 24 holes around the periphery, so if I do my geometry right I estimate that to be 1/4" spacing. They go straight through, but I see a weld break in the middle, so there are four of these tubes each about 13" long. They are tack welded to the end stub tubes at two places (top and bottom).

Paul Skilleter wrote an article with pictures for Practical Classics and Car Restorer magazine in which he describes cutting apart one of these mufflers to repair it. Inside there is nothing but four of these perforated tubes and a support piece in the center which looks like the oval end pieces. I think the four perforated tubes must be welded to this center support.
His muffler has the same 8 bolt flange and short stub ends as mine, and was also silver. He bought it NOS for L7.18s.8d from the factory through a dealer in 1970.

Rob,

Absolutely great info!

Would it mean that the circumference of the muffler is about 35"?
Do you have any idea how thick was the steel used?
I would presume the inlet/outlet pipes protrude about 1-1.5"?

Art Ford posted photos of his Burgess muffler - very similar, but with BURGESS sign on the side and no “made in England”

Tadek

I have an NOS Burgess dual exhaust muffler for XK120 that I will photograph and post the pictures later today.

John Brady

Tadek,

The circumference is about 18".

The thickness measured at an end weld seam is about 1/8", so I think both the main body and the end panel must be about 1/16".
For comparison, I have cut apart a Mark V muffler which is similar in construction methods and not marked but probably also from Burgess, and I measure the thickness of the body steel at closer to 3/64" but it may have lost some thickness due to rusting.

The inlet pipes protrude to the edge of the large flange, about 1-1/4" from the body end weld. They are probably about 2" long but the other end is obscured by the internal perforated tube.
The outlet pipes protrude about 1" from the body end weld. Also probably about 2" long and the other end is obscured by the internal tube.

The tail end hanger bracket is made of 5/64" steel.

The oval end panel pieces are a sort of dished shape about 1/2" deep with 2-1/8" ID swaged pullout holes for the stub tubes.

Total weight of the muffler is 13 pounds.

Between this one, Art’s and John’s, we should not be surprised if we discover some slight variations in construction and branding. They may represent different production runs.
Rob

Should I raise another subject, or more appropriate on this thread.

But does anyone have similar photos/details of an original-equipment XK140 dual-exhaust system as fitted to XK140SE or in USA terms XK140M or XK140MC.

Thanks a million Rob. Fantastic stuff.

Do you have the rest of the exhaust system by any chance??

Tadek

No, I don’t have any of the rest of it.
Are you thinking of making them?

Here are the pictures of the dual exhaust muffler that I have. As Rob figured, it is slightly different in the Burgess stamping and does not say Made In England.

Great shots, John Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has the pipes for them - front or rear, or even a photo of them. I have a feeling the ones pictured in Urs’ book were repros…

Tadek

on the 29 march 1951 jaguar sent there official assembly drawing to Burgess based on samples provided by Burgess.
Jaguar requested that pipes at front be expanded from 2 1/8 inches to 2 1/4 inches so Jaguars standard 4 bolt flange C3583 can be welded on. Jaguar go on to note that these flanges will be provided as free issue on future orders so Burgess can complete the assembly.
The Burgess part number for the silencer was 26076.
The Twin exhaust system was being offered to special order for use at competition events as at the 23 march 1951.

Does this C.3583 refer to the downpipe flanges that attach to the exhaust manifolds?
Or the other end where the downpipes attach to the silencer (muffler)?
I wonder, was this scheme carried through by Burgess? Did they decline, or accept, and then revert back to 2-1/8" later?
Mine are 2-1/8".

Incidentally, consecutive part numbers C.3584 Jointing Washer (i.e. gasket), C.3585 Rubber Pad for mounting silencer, and C.3586 Bracket supporting tailpipe, are all standard Mark V parts.
The C.3584 gasket is indeed larger than the standard C.495 gasket for exhaust manifold connections, because on Mark V the twin 2" downpipes join into one larger 2-1/4" connector pipe. Gasket C.3584 is also used on Mark VII also for a 2 into 1 downpipe.
I imagine C.3583 was the downstream flange on these saloon pipes, but it is not listed separately.

update: I visited my bloke who makes the replica mufflers for me and he had the later version there as the sample so the 1952 version was here at home amongst my stuff, I dug it out to nite it certainly has the 2 1/4 inch pipes at the front going into 2 separate flanges that measure 3 1/16 inches square these are the C.3583 downpipe flanges I note in my last post.
So sometime later the factory appear to have standardized on exhaust manifold size flanges and instead of the 2 separate larger flanges and have made them into one piece of steel which is commonsense.
By the end of the week I will have all my patterns and jigs back and box of glass fibre and will be able to photograph both the 1952 muffler and 1960’s mufflers in detail.
Rob it would be handy to see what C3586 looked like?
terry

"I have an XK120 dual exhaust system muffler and fact front twin pipes and remains rear pipes.

These were purchased in the UK in 1952 along with the
entire Service bulletin #95 package
8-1 pistons
high lift camshafts
stiffer torsion bars and rear springs
lightened flywheel
crankshaft damper
These were for 660560 and the exhaust was fitted but the
owner found he could drive his MKVII quicker from Clare to Adelaide (very rough roads) so sold the XK120 and fitted

exhaust to the MKVII. All the other parts were sold to Lex Davison for the HWM jaguar.

Years later the exhaust was removed from the MKVII and left in the farm workshop pit where it fell until I purchased it in c 1984.

the muffler is the same basic part as the C type it is only the exit pipes on the C type units that make it a different part number but the muffler is identical.

The muffler is 2 straight through pipes that have
perforations that go into casing which is packed with glass fibre not wire wool.

I also have a NOS 1960’s muffler with part number on it and this has the manufacturers name impressed into it from

Over the years I have had 20 or so made as exact copies and this includes the rough full length seam weld to casing and the perforated pipe and the glass fibre packing.

relatively quiet until you stand on the gas then they bark. ground clearance on a 120 given it goes under the chassis ! "
terry–

Terry,
Here is C.3586 but I don’t think it was ever used on anything other than the Mark V.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1476241254

Rubber Pad C.3585 is in image #9 of this spread.
Rob

Dear Terry,

I am the owner of 660560 and I would like to ask you if you still possess the exhaust for 660560. The car has been restored by in the 80’s to its original specification (silver paint and red trim). Please let me know if you could help me gather more info over the car.

Best regards,

Paolo Caramanti

great to hear from you

I assume you are located in Italy?

I would love to see some current photos of the car and get details of how and when you purchased it.

Yes I still have the muffler and pipes that were purchased for 660560 fitted and removed and later fitted to a MKVII and coincidentally I will be visiting the location where I got them from on about the 11-12 april for the 49th National Jaguar Rally in South Australia.

regards terry

Hi Terry,

As you guessed I’m from Italy. The car was bought by my father in the mid 80’s and was refurbished completely as it was in poor conditions.do possess all documentation of those works. Unfortunately he passed away when I was little and I have inherited the car since. Now, at the age of 24 and with some driving under my belt, I started to take care of the car and go for weekend strolls. I was extremely surprised to know that the original exhaust was still in existence and would be interested to know if it could be refurbished and installed on the 660560. I have attached a recent picture of the car in this message.

Best regards and hope to hear you soon,

Paolo