XK120 Alloy Gearbox Tunnel Dipstick Inspection Lid Cover

Can anyone help resolve a question on the Mark V forum? :pleading_face:
Does anyone have a photo of an original dipstick inspection cover for an alloy 120?
It is rectangular, but different from the steel body cars.
Urs and Bernard do not show a picture. Anders shows an oval cover which I suspect may be a restorer’s creation.

Jim at JK Restorations tells me they are they same except for the hole and bend in the middle. I need one for #670088. 670178InsspectionCover Magazine picture, page 10 of #670178

I’ve seen that picture too.
So I take it you are saying you believe it is correct.
It is a Mark V cover BD.2402 but bent the other way.
It seems the Australians have reproduced it for Mark V, but without the hole, and the middle bend would only be needed on 120 alloy.
https://www.ebay.com/str/jagdaim?_bkw=BD.2402

I did some more searching.
Here are the only pictures I could find of a gearbox tunnel for alloy cars.

fDoOkE

Found two more covers with the hole.
xztWQz
ewiXOT

Here is a Mark V tunnel with the original 4" x 5.25" cover.

Here it is shown with the tall handle dipstick, and it is in very near proximity to the cover, which I believe was the reason for putting the hole in it. The hole is 2-3/8" diameter. The Bi-Fix or Oddie fasteners are 4" center-to-center.

Here it is with the short handle dipstick, and it has plenty of clearance and there is no need for the hole.

So Mike, I think if you got one of these Mark V covers and bent it in the middle to fit your tunnel, you would be doing exactly what the factory did.

in the latest edition of XK120 Explored we did include picture of ally gearbox cover no inspection plate though and the 2 different steel bodies car versions

Yes, I saw that tunnel drawing of Viart’s in the first edition.
No doubt you observed there are dimensional differences in the cover lid.
The steel 120 version measures 4" x 5.75" with 3.75" center-to-center fastener spacing, and no curled rib around the perimeter.

That’s very useful information, Rob. I’m missing that piece and it looks like it might be a fairly straightforward fabrication.

Does anyone have detailed pictures of the perimeter treatment? 18 gauge steel?

TIA!

18 gauge sounds a bit heavy, more like 22 gauge.
It’s sort of curved or bent down for 1/4" all around, so it hugs the carpet. Not a sharp bend and not a compound S curve like the alloy & Mark V cover.

1 Like

Thanks again, Rob. A wealth of knowledge as usual.

Mike

1 Like

Yes Mike, that’s my Mark V cover.
I believe the factory simply bent these in the middle to fit the tunnel in the alloy cars.