XK120 FHC Detail required

(Graham Jordan) #1

Would anyone be able to post a photo of the bonnet catch area of there FHC towards the radiator please.
I think I’m missing a deflector below the radiator?

(Terry McGrath) #2

there appear to be 2 types roadster seems to have flat ally 1mm plate with folded safety edge and cut out for tapI have seen secxond type that is stepped up about 1/2 inch.
both screwed to chassis with 4 pane head slotted self tappers
Will post pics shortly

(Phil.Dobson) #3

not sure if these help!

(Phil.Dobson) #4

(Rob Reilly) #5

3 pan head screws. I looked in vain to find a listing for this part in the SPC and Viart. Urs has a good picture in Volume 2 page 26 but also has no part number.
The drain tap handle is supposed to protrude up above that slot and the spout points the drainage downwards.
I have the correct drain tap around here…somewhere.
I’ll install it as soon as I get a round toit.

Hmm, first attempt to post this bounced, bad gateway, trying again.

(Graham Jordan) #6

Yeh. Appears that has been overlooked on my car.
I did notice that my radiator has the same drain tap as Robs.
Is it possible this is how some came as mine is the original radiator as far as I’m aware.

(Graham Jordan) #7

Although having said that there was some issue with the bottom radiator hose not fitting??
Thanks for the responses.
Cheers, Graham.

(Tadek) #8

Found it! :slight_smile:
Very original '54 photo.

Cheers, Tadek

(Terry McGrath) #9

what is the source of this pic
But this is exactly what the FHC DHC looks like roadster completely flat

(Rob Reilly) #10

Interesting that there are two styles of cover, one flat and one box shaped, but I don’t see why it would be related to body style, as they are attached to the chassis frame there, as is the radiator, the same on all 3 bodies.

Here is an original drain tap, and there are also versions with a 90 elbow.

(XK-SS) #11

I agree. I can’t find any other photo of the box style and early cars did not have this part.

Is there anyone with the part number of both and the chassis number they commenced?


(Rob Reilly) #12

They are a pain in the neck to fit.
Remove the radiator support rod to give you some more elbow room.
There is a special tool, called the smooth-forked-stick, with which you push the hose down and work it over the water pump spout.

(CP120) #13

I have a tube of a product called “Sil-Glyde” made in Michigan by the American Grease Stick Company (great name!), a smear of this on the inside of the hose end helps. The company claims it is effective from -20 F to +400 F and is harmless to rubber. I inherited it from my wife who used it when she was a lab tech and have used it in numerous applications including coating weatherstripping.