XK120 FHC Door Sill Trim Plywood

Can anyone tell me the correct thickness of the plywood used for the moquette covered trim fillet along the door sill, and also for the moquette covered plywood fillet at front of sill near the footwell? I am thinking it is probably 1/2" like the other plywood floor panels and floor shim strips, but I would like verification.

Mine are 3/8", like all my floor panels, and made of many layered plywood.
I believe it is sold as 9mm Baltic birch in specialty wood shops.

All the original pieces I have ever seen were 1/8" birch ply.
Picture taken at Jon Pollock’s shop shows originals from unmolested FHC.
Mike

’

1 Like

I misinterpreted Wyn’s question.
See Urs Schmid Volume 2 page 53.

I think Rob interpreted my question correctly. I read Urs’ description but it didn’t give the thickness of the plywood, which I am now thinking is 7/16" like the floorboards and trunk panels (not 1/2" like I mistakenly noted in my question. THANKS for your help.

No, all my floors are definitely 3/8".
We at one time discussed spacer pieces between the metal floor panels and the sill, scuttle and gearbox tunnel which are also 3/8". I made some but haven’t put them in yet.

Urs is showing what looks like 1/8" plywood covered in moquette in the front outboard corner, same as Mike’s photo.

I must be having trouble with my math… yes, all the other wood trim and spacers are made of 3/8" 7-ply plywood. From the photos I have studied in Urs’ book, the moquette-covered strips in question seem to be too thick to be just 1/8". They look to me to be 3/8", making them about the same thickness when covered as the furflex that they are adjacent to.

Mike,
Would you by any chance have more pictures of that wonderful original interior. I’m trying to track down pictures of original interiors in order to figure out all the components of a proper interior for a FHC. The parts book supplement for the FHC lists a front (moquette covered) fillet above door sills, clearly visible on your picture. It also lists a rear fillet above door sills and I’m trying to determine what this is. According to Porter’s book, this rear fillet is around 30" long if I remember well and about 3" wide, which would indicate that it would run all the way along the door. But if this is true, the front part of it would be extremely narrow when I look at your picture. Also, I’m trying to find out why some FHCs and DHCs have larger leather heel pads with criss-cross stitching, while others seem to have, like the one in your picture and the FHC featured in Porter’s book a barrel shaped Hardura heel pad finished with vinyl binding before being sewn itself to the carpet floor pieces on both sides. Finally, am I right to think that both the XK120 FHC and DHC didn’t have a chrome trim on the edge of the carpet holding the furflex trim, like the 120 roadsters do?
I’m not sure you still have an interest in this topic, and if you don’t please tell me. But I think we need more pictures of unrestored interiors on this forum to use as a reference when most of them are restored.
Thank you,
Bernard

Bernard,

I have quite a few pictures of Jon’s FHC and will attach the ones of the interior that I have.

The fillet piece you are referring to indeed tapers from almost nothing in front to a few inches in the back and holds down the lower windlace. You should be able to find the small holes where the screws held them down.

You are right, the chrome finisher is only on the OTS.

Let me know what other details you might need pictures of.

Mike May

360-877-2301

That car shows some slight differences to my 679187. Can you tell me the chassis number?

Mike,
Thank you so much for the pictures and your information . This is so helpful!. If I need more pictures of other areas of the car in the future, I will contact you because this XK120 seems to be extremely original.
Regards,
Bernard

I am still not sure exactly what the fillet piece is, and how it is attached. I am looking at two of the photos Mike posted of the door sill area (P1010047 and P1010053). I am thinking the outer straight piece that runs parallel along the inside edge of the door sill is furflex or moquette covered windlace. And I think that just inside of that should be the tapered fillet Mike refers to. I can see that in P1010047 it seems to start at a point and gradually increase in width the farther back it goes. But then when I look at the rear half of the sill in P1010053 I don’t see that fillet at all. All I see is the what i think is the moquette covered windlace. If the fillet is “a few inches” wide at the rear of the sill, where is it? There isn’t even a few inches of space between the seat frame and the windlace. What am I missing here??

3/8 inch Ply
plywood floors at the front of the XK120 DHC/FHC 140 and 150 also boot floor in 120’s and the 140 and 150 spare wheel lid and all the golf doors on 120-150 also the packing strip between the sill lip and steel floor insert in 120 DHC/FHC are 3/8 inch plywood.
Trim panels on doors XK120 FHC/DHC and 140 FHC/DHC and insert in 150 doors are 1/8 inch as are kick panels in the XK150 and all the boot lid panels all 3 models. underdash panels in XK150’s are also 1/8 inch ply
There are some variations in trim panels as these are sometimes made from black bituminised cardboard in XK120’s and 140’s.