XK120 FHC Fog Lamp Switch location

Urs Schmid Vol 2 page 40 states that the fog lamp switch was fitted to the driver’s side facia panel. Is that true for the FHC too?? I find it hard to believe that people just drilled an extra hole through the beautiful wood panel. My FHC had the switch mounted on a small bracket to the left of the steering wheel, but I don’t know if that is correct or not. The draft judging manual says it is not correct, but then I am not sure if that applied to FHC.

BE CAREFUL! there is still a lot of controversy regarding this issue. Might be wise to find a spot that when it is finally sorted out it can be easily rectified if necessary.

godfrey asked me this question on another of the topic listings
my answer below
I love hornets nests!
There is an interim roadster dash panel ie mid range that had the heater rheostat switch to the left or right of steering column depending on LHD or RHD. ie early cars did not have one and later cars it was on bottom right of dash panel itself. so I would mount it in this location or to the left or right of where the rheostat switch is or was.
what is a 31224 switch as opposed to the 31228/A PS7
the PS7 switch does come with different length threaded shafts and a shorter version would be best in a roadster
If you have very late 120 I would use one of the bakelite knobs S or F
terry
PS I will dig out roadster dash and show you the hole for rheostat

godfrey’s question
Terry… at the risk of stirring up a hornets nest… what is your considered opinion regarding the location of the foglamp switch for the late style 120 OTS dashboard ? I am choosing to use the spot where the panel lamp switch is located on the FHC / DHC… and using the 31224 chrome switch … thoughts ?

Wyn,

Gathering information for some time now on the subject for an article. The answer to your question starts with the dilemma: do you have the original Jaguar supplied “optional extra” package C.2988 or the “aftermarket” Lucas set 053206? Or may be the easier question: what kind of brackets for the foglamps do you have?
If you have two identical brackets as shown below, then you’ve the aftermarket Lucas versions and you’re allowed to place your switch (31206 with black knob and short thread) wherever you want, as there is no recommended position.
If you have different brackets on the LH and RH side, I would love to see a photo of these and we’ll discuss the position of the switch afterwards.

Bob K.

Godfrey, this is great advice.

Bob,
See photos below of the fog lamp mounting brackets I am using. These came from Geoff Rogers who had them made by Forrest Voges copied from a original set. Geoff is adamant that he had a Jaguar original set and that they were chrome plated. It makes sense to me, as it would been a lot of work for someone to form that pattern and chrome plate them back in the early 1950’s just as an aftermarket part. You might want to talk to Geoff directly for details on this, if you are doing an article on this topic.
I was planning to use these brackets, together with a metal-knob switch. For now, in the absence of definitive information I will probably just locate the switch under the dash to the left of the steering column, as I am not going to drill through my beautifully restored wood facia!

is there corroborating evidence? This MAY be a good start… but a one off doesn’t confirm it. I also question the grommet through the wing. it doesn’t appear correct to my eye. Even in the 1950s there was the ability to customise.

Ps Terry you are correct the switch is a 31228. typo

I should also point out for the record that the washer behind the chrome dome nut should be a SHOULDERED washer

It is the shape of the grommet you don’t like, or the existence of any grommet? I was just going by the draft judging guide which states “Factory installed fog lamps have black plastic sleeve covered cables passing through rubber grommets and holes drilled just under each lamp.”

Are you referring to the blackened washers? Can you give me a photo of what it should be? I used a blackened flat washer with a shake proof washer, following the draft judging guide which states: “The spring bars are mounted to their chrome extensions using 4 large chrome dome nuts with both a black oxide flat washer and a black oxide shake-proof washer under each nut.”

don’t believe everything the ‘judging guide’ tells you there are numerous errors. I’ll find some images of the washers for you. As for the grommet there is still substantial disagreement regarding the type, size, and location of this and the hole through which it passes. The grommet part number in the SPC ( C 976 ) of which I have correct Lucas originals you can pass a garden hose through… I have chosen to use the brake aperture for the cable until there can be a reliable answer to this. That way I can easily move it without having to repaint the wing.

Wyn,

I read that you’ve ordered these brackets from Geoff Rogers. We are aware of the brackets he offers but we cannot confirm that these are the original Jaguar supplied bracket C.2985 & C.2986. In any case your car didn’t have the original “Optional Extra” Foglamps installed in the factory, no matter whether Geoff’s brackets are correct or not.
We’ve seen these brackets before although not always chromed. I wonder why they have a dome on top as all foglamps were supplied with a (chromed) base (Lucas 534386) that requires a flat surface to be mounted on. May be you can skip the Lucas base with this construction but I don’t see the logic.

When we look closely at the early “works-prepared” XK 120s that raced or rallied in 1950, we see a different bracket than the one offered by Geoff. At the moment we’re still investigating the way this bracket was made and its dimensions, but in any case it doesn’t look like the ones you have.

So I think your decision not to mount the switch in the wooden instrument panel (or the facia) seems like a wise one, no matter what Jaguar did in the factory with their switches. Although I have to confirm that Jaguar used the long thread switch Lucas 31228 (Jaguar C.2744) which is normally used for wooden panel installation.

Bob K.

Wyn here is a not very good image of an image…of what is on my car but best I can do quickly. look carefully at the edge of the flat washer behind the dome nut the edge is shaved my interpretation is that this washer is part number FW208/T which is according to the SPC a bevelled washer. Where’s Roger when I need him :slight_smile: please clarify…xk120%20fog%20light%20mounting%20bracket

I would very much like to see the “so called” originals I very much doubt that these would have been jaguar made. I would also note that the grommet through bottom of wing is almost certainly way to big It is only one single wire coming through a they are earthed back via mounting

Here is a photo of my original SFT 700S fog lamps. While it could be mounted on a flat plate, the curvature of the mount mates beautifully with the dome on the mounting flanges I have.

The photos I have seen of these rally cars with fog lamp brackets don’t have any bumpers. The mounting flanges I have are made to rest on the bumper brackets so they don’t swivel. So I am not sure how much of a conclusion we can draw in this case when comparing to rally cars.

The only works prepared car that may be somewhat accessible is the Montlerthy 120 coupe… there are plenty of images… but who’s to say that even with the bumpers on… that what is there today is what was there in the 50s?.. For lack of any conclusive evidence to the contrary would it be safe to say , at least for now, that the Lucas aftermarket brackets are acceptable for concours originality purposes ? I’ll be the first to acknowledge they aren’t pretty… but…We can establish their authenticity. Thoughts ?

Wyn,

Don’t want to give everything away already, but Jaguar used the same construction in the early Fifties with or without bumpers. One example: early photo of #669002 (LWK 707) with bumpers. Compare this bracket with your version and you’ll notice the difference immediately. But there is (much) more to come…

You’re right regarding the curvature of the lampbase. but I don’t see the advantage of this construction as the (spigot) bolt seems strong enough to locate the foglamp.

Bob K.

Although I don’t know what special shape this washer had, I don’t see the purpose of any specially shaped washer in this position. Was it just for looks? I would be surprised if that were the case. Does anyone actually have one?