XK120 FHC interior wooden tacking pieces and hardware

Gents, does anyone have a detailed pictorial representation and or description of all the various pieces of thin plywood and dimensional solid wood pieces that make up all the attachment points for the interior headliner, upholstery pieces, et al ? When Dad left me his 120 FHC it didn’t have an interior of any kind in it and it was rusted mess. Consequently, most of the wood parts I am inquiring about are missing or vestigial at best.

When it comes time to install an interior, I’ll need to know what those pieces look like, how thick the are and where they go with what attachment hardware. That’s a while off yet, but as I progress through rebuilding this car I am struck by how much thin tacking wooden material they have and some solid dimensional pieces which are mostly reduced to slivers of wood.

Please, if you know any and all information about these, let me know. It’s OK to email me direct.

Best regards, Brian

Hi Brian,

I am at the cockpit reconstruction stage of my early 120FHC restoration. Most of my “under upholstery” plywood and hardwood are present, but weathered enough to require complete replacement. I am about to inventory all of the woodwork shortly and will get back to the list with photos of what I have.

May not able to post the data for a week though as the next few days are booked up with the start of the holiday festivities.

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks a lot. Take your time.

Best regards, Brian

Brian,

I also recently made all new interior wood for my fhc. The wood is baltic birch plywood. The wood over the side windows is 1/8 " thick. The triangles are 5/8". It is hard to describe dimensions, if you send me your address I can send you tracings on paper of the pieces.
Cliff

2 Likes

Hi Cliff, this pic is very helpful. Here is my address to take advantage of your generous offer:

Brian Ternamian
2864 Stephanie Lane
Hurst, TX 76054-2114

If you will please remember me when you install these items and send pics of them all in situ with the hardware used and perhaps a list of said hardware and pics of them unused. Also I think there are shortish solid wooden pieces somewhere around the “B” Pillars that perform some function. If you have those that would be appreciated also.

Again this is wonderful. Best regards, Brian

Hi Cliff / Brian.
I too will not be far from replacing the interior of mine and would also like templates of the backing pieces if possible. Would you be willing to send these to me in Australia? I could send you postage costs.
Regards, Graham Jordan.

1 Like

I too am at this point in my 54 FHC restoration. My interior tacking wood was splintered and rotted with some missing from a previous cobbled up headlining install…Sure would like to have exactly the same as Brian to move me along with my project and would be willing to compensate you for your efforts.

Joel Miller
!901 North Willow Ave. // Broken Arrow Ok. 74012 // 918-521-9711

Best regards---- Joel Miller

Cliff: I am at the same boat as the other gentlemen, except I am restoring an XK140 OTS. All the wood is out of my car and I have been wondering how to approach this issue. I was assuming the tacking wood could be purchased from one of the supply vendors. Is this not correct? Thanks. Don

Graham and Joel I will contact you off list.
Cliff

Don,
I am not sure if the wood can be bought from a vendor. I have not seen it offered for sale in any of the catalogs. Unfortunately the 120 and 140 wood is different or I would send you a copy.
Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Looks like you have a best seller. I too am at the interior finishing stage of my 120 FHC and would appreciate a tracing of the wood.

Contact me off list for an address.

Thanks, in advance,

Rob

Hello Brian,I’m sure I posted some pictures of my original tacking pieces on the old site but I can’t seem to find them on the new site.there is a aluminium edge attached to the tac strip which is covered in vinyl,I will see if I still have the originals,David Roper.

Rob
Give me a day or two. I’m pretty busy right now.
Cliff

Hi Brian,

B pillar wood photos are below. Each pillar has two tapered solid wood pieces attached with what appear to be wood screws to the body metal. They serve as backing to fasten the upholstery with screws.

Both pieces are 1" wide. The long piece is 17" long by 3/4" thick at top. The short piece is 14" long by 5/8" thick at top.

Regards
Rob

1 Like

Thanks Rob. These are what I was referring to when I asked about dimensional wood as they were vestigial on my car and detached. Are there any more of these or similar?

Best, Brian

Brian, that’s all there is for the solid wood. I have the same pieces on my car too.
Cliff

Thank much to all who contribute to this missing aspect of our FHC interiors (unless I don’t have the right books).

Best regards, Brian

Cliff,

The tracings of the FHC wood arrived today. Thanks very kindly, you’ve saved me a lot of trial and error rebuilding the highly weathered pieces I was left with.

Regards
Rob

Hi Cliff,
I’m just at the same point on my 53’ FHC.
Any chance I could get a copy?
Please contact off post if you can.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob

Cliff,
Just came upon this post.
My FHC has many missing pieces, plus the pieces that are present are terribly water damaged.
While, like Etch, I have a 140, it is a FHC, I can’t help think that some of the 120 pieces must be the same.
Could I bother you for the dimensions?
I will send email and address off line.
Thanks.
steve