Xk120 front bonnet brace

I meant at the time of the introduction of the DHC , not just for the DHC.
Peter B.

Yes, as with many others of these unrecorded changes, we would need a lot of observations of cars of known months of completion, and original bonnets, with and without it, to ultimately arrive at what is still a best guess.

1 Like

My bodyman is ready to install the third brace that you all helped me locate.Would it be possible for someone to give me a picture of one installed. should it be fitted so the brace fits against the underside of the bonnet or should it slightly proud of the surface. your help would give my bodyman confidence that he is doing it correct. Thanks. John

John,

Iā€™m in the same situation as you are and when looking for an original example, I found the attached picture of a bonnet with the third brace (assuming this version is original). I think it is positioned just under the side profiles (looking from the underside of the bonnet) so it can be welded easier. Jaguar apparently used a rather ā€œthickā€ aluminium weld compared to modern TIG welds that are much neater.

Bob K.

Bob The picture is just what I need. Iā€™m sending it to my bodyman right now ! Thanks so much. jag lovers does it again! John

John:

I do not wish to throw a spanner in the works, but on my 1953 XK120 DHC the flanges on the front latch assembly are on the outside of the side pieces so donā€™t use that photo as a guide with respect to that area. Not sure if you have Porterā€™s, ā€œOriginal Jaguar XKā€, but it shows the assembly on p.24 (2003 edition).

Chris.

Thanks. i do have Porterā€™s book. Jack

outside definitely correct