XK120 Grill Project

You were lucky: I found the exact opposite, plus, how he handled his f**k-ups was entirely INadequate.

Glad it turned out OK for you.

Thank you for the clarification on the process you used. I think for many of us, this kind of stuff is extremely interesting, but we don’t have the skill or tools to make it happen. Again, well done, and I’m sure your car will look great with its new grille.

Just brilliant …

The explanation given by the book authors is that the tooling wore out.
Seeing the tooling suggests to me that this was not the reason for the change. It may be a strength and/or labor cost reduction issue.

There have been several requests on this forum over the years for individual ribs, in case you ever feel like running up a few extras.

I too, love machine shop work, but find myself doing sheet metal and paint lately.

Very, very impressive. Using the pins in the frame for each rib was smart. I had to repair my grill with a number of loose ribs many years ago and did not think of using that technique. Though I did use easy silver solder (in the hard family of silver solders for sterling silver) and the plating was not affected. The hard solders are done with oxygen, propane and paste flux.
If you do that nice a job on that I hope you will share pics of the body work you are doing. Thanks for sharing

Wow. That’s it. Simply wow. Very, very impressive work.

Wow.

Bookmarked.

1 Like

WOW WOW WOW WOW
terry

1 Like

Amazing work ! Luckily I bought an NOS grille in 1976…but I have my '53 original nice but missing two vanes. Just terrific job…

Just happened to see this today. Like the others I am gobsmacked at the degree of excellence and care you employed.

On single vanes, I’m pretty sure almost all of us 120 owners have a vane or two that is either loose or slightly bent or something that leaves the entire grill wanting.

If single vanes are sold in England, IMO, then they are more expensive due to the pound/dollar differences and shipping which has always been expensive from there.

As a proponent of parsimony, I tend not to deal with anyone across the pond for those reasons.

Your work is exquisite. If anyone is not jealous of your talent, most likely, he hasn’t seen your results.

And most definitely, I would like to see pice of every step and stage you are going through to rebuild your FHC. I have a basket case FHC that Dad left me and am mired in the intricacies of putting it back together. I’m sure my poor work could never hold a candle to yours, but I am anxious to see what you do/did and how it goes together.