XK120 heater identification

Rob, the factory must have fitted the heater in 1952 as per current practice, because it has the normal heater box on the scuttle. I’m wondering if the heater on the early cars even had an air takeoff housing for the screen demister slots, as the early cars lacked these? It only really makes a difference when it comes to the shape of the hole in the under-dash trim panel, anyway. I’ll probably make a blank off plate. At the moment I’ve got 2 square-ended rubber caps on the ends of the spouts. I may forgo the little label as I think you’d have to get into a really contorted position to even be able to see it!

Minus 10 points.

…we’ll be making a note in your file.

1 Like

I’d better get one, then!

Get 2. …plus 5 points.

1 Like

Ha, ha. Although there are two depressions where a sticker could go, between the doors and at the demist outlet, they only had one sticker.
Here it is on a Mark V, where incidentally there would be plenty of room for that oversized one of Nick’s.

Ta - dah !!

1 Like

Just been looking at my heater and realised it is different style and number to the book . But the forum solved the question. This is a CHS 620/44
It appears to be correct for an early 140 FHC.
Note there are no flaps to stop heat in the cabin . The cabin heat is constant through the holes in the side .

Hi Jim,

This is interesting! Could you make another picture of the heater but now with the complete “cabin side” visible? Yours is different indeed with additional holes at the under side, apparently to get warm air in the direction of the floor: I hadn’t seen that before. Looks a bit like a “quick solution” from Smiths.
For comparison 2 pics of my (August 1955) XK 140 FHC which had the later version CHS 620/48.
Is your FHC still 1954 or already 1955 (or better what would have been the change-over date from suffix 44 to 48)?

Regards,

Bob K.

Hi Bob
The circular “grill” is backed with a metal plate , so no heat can exit in that direction.

My car 22nd March 55

Any idea when they started putting those ID plates on them? My Mark V heater never had one, just has the number CHS620/29 stenciled on the back.

According to the 140 parts book the OTS and DHC used the same C.4387 heater as all 120s, but the 140 FHC used C.8886/1, though the same sealing rubbers, nuts and washers. Is that the difference, those port holes rather than a door flap?

Rob,

The 140 FHC was different as (due to space problems) the mounting position had to be turned 90 degrees and was now vertically. As a result the cover plate at the back of the heater had the hole pattern turned by 30 degrees and is not identical to those of the OTS and DHC. So Smiths had to issue a new part number for the Car Heater System, initially CHS 620/44 which apparently was used until somewhere between March and August 1955. Jaguar assigned part number C.8886/1 for the 140 FHC heater Then came the addition of the (horizontally hinging) front doors, whereby the upper door was “blocked” and only the lower could be opened (taking over the function of the round holes of the previous version, see Jim’s photo). New Smiths number CHS 620/48, but apparently Jaguar continued using C.8886/1 as functionally nothing had changed.
Urs Schmid shows a Smiths heater for the XK 120 (Smiths CHS 620/4x and Jaguar C.4387) as used from September 1951. It had already an ID plate. The exact Smiths suffix is not visible on the photo (Vol.1 page 182) but probably identical to the one of the XK 140 OTS & DHC, of which Roger Payne will undoubtedly have the correct Smiths code numbers.
So regarding the introduction date of these Smiths stamped tags we can only guess: as your Mk V hadn’t one, could be around 1950???.

Bob K.

Pic showing original blanking plate from Sept 1952 (pre-defrost) OTS

no logo label ?
terry

See attached pics of a definately original Feb 1955 XK140FHC Heater - this one fitted to one of the very first XK140FHC and my understanding being a new model introduced for the XK140, and different from those used on XK120 FHC…………

Note, no flaps either, and holes around the edge of the cover, so would seem what the revised CHS620-48 design was all about, introduced it would seem soon after Feb 1955.

I am not aware of this CHS620-44 to CHS620-48 change being documented anywhere, and indeed something rarely brought up, so will rely very much on reliable sightings, from known original Chassis Number XK140s, keeping in mind, these SMITHS Heaters came in a myriad of model variations to suit many different manufacturers (not just English - also Holden in Australia for instance) and applications, and indeed were readily available as an after market accessory for owners to fit to cars that didn’t originally have heaters.

So early days for car heaters, thus fairly basic controls - off or on, and to do so you had to turn tap under bonnet, with only fan speed controllable in cabin.

No label and no evidence of any mounting holes for rivets. No stamped model numbers. Although you can see the “Smith’s” logo. Known history of car since 1960s and believe this is the original heater.

What was the original color these heaters were painted in an XK? Most of those pictured here are black, but some were obviously repainted. The one in my late 140 appeared to be painted gray originally on the top and bottom plates with the core painted black.

My 120’s was dark silver. Rattlecan Pewter is close. (It looks quite light in this picture) This is the best I though was necessary on a part not seen:

looks just about right and is a little darker as you say and good to see the little label in place.
Clips holding two pieces together possibly black or natural spring steel?

Or cad plated. I don’t think I’ll be caught on it. I had one of two stickers. Good enough.

Mine was more bluish in hue, but your’s is prettier … :sunglasses:

1 Like