XK120 High beam warning light

Drove my 120 for the first time after dark the other day. I noticed that while the dip and high beams were working OK, the tiny red light on the speedo was permanently on for both dip and high beams. I’m not sure if it is a warning light for high beams only, or should it be on whether dip or high beams are selected?

Chris, that red bulb should come on with the high beams and go out with the low beams. How was the rest of the instrument panel illumination? I recall the first time I drove my XK120 roadster in complete darkness. That high beam red bulb was the brightest light on the instrument panel. I needed a flashlight to read the instruments. That’s now been corrected with the installation of LEDs in the four instrument panel lamp sockets.

Thanks, Mike - good to know that. I also went through the car replacing all bulbs with LED, so everything else works fine. Now I know that red light is only for the high beams, I’ll have to look for a cause as to why it’s working on both dip and high beams. Any ideas, anyone?

I’m back, after being off line for a week dealing with computer problems.

Most likely it is connected at the wrong place, either on the dipper switch, or at the headlight switch, thus going on with the side lamps.

Thanks, Rob. I’ll need to have a look at the wiring diagram and check things out. The light is not on with just the sidelights, but is on with dip and main beam headlights.

I had the same problem. My fault was in the wiring at the headlights. I had the 3 wires at the bulb sockets in the wrong positions. The high beam and low beam lights worked, but the red light was always on. After sorting out the connections at the bulbs, everything worked properly.
Cliff

Thanks, I’ll look into that, Cliff.