XK120 Jaguar Control Head Manette installation?

I’m in need of any tips on threading the wires when installing a new Manette in my xk120, anybody?

Rod

Welcome Rod,
I suspect what you really wonder is why it won’t just go straight in. Here’s why.
There are 4 internal nubs on the end of the tube.

There is a long tube inside the steering column, like about 4 feet long.
It has a slot about an inch long cut in the rearward end.
You first have to get the short manette tube started over the long tube.
Then you have to rotate it so the nubs fit into the slot.
Then you can push it in. The wires will come out the forward end of that long tube.
If you find your manette is oriented wrong, you loosen the clamp on the forward end of the steering box and rotate the manette, which rotates the two tubes together.

The black tape on my wires is where the inner tube rubs on them when you move the wheel in and out. Its an old repair I did in the 70s before I knew about shrink tube. I’m going to put shrink tube on it before I put it in again.

Rob, thanks for the response and great information! I haven’t actually
bought the new Manette yet am just trying to get ahead of the process. I
knew about the long tube, and looking at the photos of the wiring coming
from the Manette it occurred to me that there might be a trick to
getting several feet of seemingly flexible wire through a relatively
narrow pipe. I suppose being I haven’t removed the existing Manette and
wires, I could disconnect one of the existing wires and attach it to the
new ones and pull them through.
It is good to know about the slot and the nubs. Great photos, it
really helps.

Rod

Shouldn’t be necessary. The wires are wrapped in a cloth sleeve and they are stiff enough that they will push through if the front ends are wrapped so they don’t splay out and get caught on the tube end.

Ii have a new (rebuilt) manette, and have it installed. How do I keep it from turning with the steering wheel, I don’t think it is supposed to?

Rod

Incorrectly, I suggested that the manette and steering wheel move together. What was I thinking. As the steering wheel is turned the centre of the manette remains static.Apologies

It should not move when the steering wheel is turned!
The grub screws keep the manette in place when the column is adjusted in length.
If the ‘tubes’ are installed/located as per Rob’s note and the clamp is tightened on the end of the steering box all should be good.
Please note if the manette is allowed to turn you will damage the wiring

The manette engages with a slot in the stator tube (which stays stationary) That slot engagement keeps the center portion of the manette stationary too. Only the inner ring portion that the grub screws push against turns with the wheel.

Phil, Jim
I have the manette tube (12"±) engaged with the slot in the stator tube and after tightening the grub screws the whole manette still turns with the steering wheel. I am assuming based on your responses that the “clamp nut” on the lower end of the steering box needs to be tightened?

Thanks for the responses :grinning:
Rod

make sure the horn button is oriented facing up before you tighten it. You could put some tape around the tube as it sticks out of the gear box making a “flag” with the tape. Then turn the wheel 90 degrees and see if the tape “flag” moves as well. It shouldn’t. If it did move then tighten the clamp nut. If it didn’t move and you still have the horn button rotating then maybe the long stator tube is broken inside the column. The xk120 I am restoring did not have the long stator tube inside the column so I had to make a new one. Surprising it wasn’t too hard and it fits the manette perfectly. I just need to trim off the excess length now that it is in the column and confirmed working.

The stator tube on this car doesn’t extend out the bottom, I was able to tighten up the clamp nut a couple of turns, but the center (horn) section is still turning. However the grub screws are now so damaged (the slots) that I am unable to tighten them up. I’m hoping that without the grub screws being secure that that is the reason the horn section is still turning. If not, then I guess I have a broken stator tube!

Take the grub screws out and see if it still rotates

Phil,

Yup it still turns with the grub screws removed.

Rod

That’s how I did it, Rob.

If you hold the manette with one hand and turn the steering wheel with the other hand does the manette stay put?

Yes, Manette stays put if i hold it while turning the steering wheel.

Rod

The grub screws have nothing to do with preventing the center manette from turning. They keep it from pulling straight out.
The slot in the lower forward tube and the nubs in the upper rear tube that fit into the slot prevent it from turning, if the front end of the lower forward tube is clamped by the clamping bolt and nut at the forward end.

Try loosening the clamp bolt at the gear box and then loosen the steering adjusting nut and push the steering wheel as close to the dash as it will go (all the way down the splines). The stator tube could be pulled up slightly enough to not let the gear box leak but also not enough down the column to be grabbed by the clamping bolt at the gear box end. The fact that it isn’t sticking out that end is a clue to me as where the problem lies. When I put my new homemade stator tube in I collapsed the steering wheel all the way down as far as it would go thereby giving my full adjustment later on once in the car. The slot in the tube allows the wheel to be adjusted but the tube needs to be properly located as well.

Ok then you need to try and identify what is rubbing on the manette to make it turn. Sometimes the circular plate catches on the steering wheel casting.

Jim, I followed your instructions and was not able to get the “stator” tube to move at all. I even slammed the steering wheel down to the dash so hard it knocked the black plastic jaguar off the hub. the closest the steering wheel gets is ~11" from the dash measuring from one of the wheel spokes (in 9:00 o’clock position) to the dash. There is a pronounced “clang” when the wheel hits bottom, so I think it is all the way down.

I’m about ready to give up on this and just route a separate hidden toggle switch turn signal switch to the existing wires.

Rod