Xk120 on bring a trailer

Anybody seen this. Lots of opinion, no backup. Probably garden variety.

One of the saddest things I’ve seen in awhile. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to remove ounces of weight from the chassis using a hole saw and zip discs. He even cut holes in the brake drums. This is no factory lightweight. It’s somebody’s pipe dream never realised. No surpirse there are no takers.

FHC chassis, isn’t it?

No, its an OTS, it lacks the front body mounting channel found on FHC/DHC, and the ebay advert says it is chassis number 672637 which is a LHD OTS.
I collected 20 pictures from ebay.
Head number is W5559-8S.
Gearbox number JL11861 or 11867.
It has at least one Dunlop Roadspeed Made in England wide whitewall tire, the right front, and the other 3 look to be identical.
There is light blue paint on the wire wheels, a possible clue as to the color of the missing body.
Other interesting features are the Lucas coil mounted on the block and the side entry distributor cap.

Looks like there was an unsuccessful attempt to put tube shocks and trailing arms on the rear axle.
Love the throttle linkage, makes me think of outboard boat motors.
Oil temp bulb in place of the oil level sender.
Even the oil filter canister has been shortened.
The red paint on the block and damper would no doubt add to the imagined top speed.

Somebody went to a lot of misguided trouble, probably read about lightened chassis work in some magazine and thought to try their hand.
I don’t see 17k worth of salvage parts there.

Rob hard to say would the more successful race mod. The red paint or the white walls. Nothing wrong with drilling the chassis mind . The factory did it.

Carbs appear to be Amal Monoblock carbs mostly used on motorcycles. Many british motorcycle owners are quick to remove them and put on jap carbs.

But Bill Heynes or any structural engineer would never have permitted his race mechanics to drill all those holes in the top and bottom surfaces of the side chassis rails. That’s the worst place to put them, that chassis is ready to fold up if it hits a big pothole. Lightening holes are always at the neutral axis of the beam, i.e. the middle of the sides.
The whitewalls no doubt scare the rabbits away from the race track. :wink:

I know the chassis number they give is OTS, but the front bumper/body mounting horns on front of the frame have been cut off, so no telling what they originally were. If you look at the ends of the transverse crossmember just behind and above where the battery boxes would be, you can see an extra riser or block on top at each end that would not be present on an OTS. Those risers would only be for a FHC or DHC, wouldn’t they?

My FHC 679187 does not have these riser blocks.

I was thinking of the channel that a FHC/DHC would normally have here just in front of the tie rod. Of course, if it once had one it could also have been removed.

The ebay advertiser does not give a source for the chassis number identification, so we may never be able to judge their accuracy. It looks like a small area between the steering bump stops in front of the radiator has been cleaned, so maybe they found it there?

Rob. a number of years ago I was in UK and the factory prepared SS 100 #18008, the very famous SS100 factory prepared for racing , was for sale. A friend back in Oz had talked about buying another SS100 so i went , had a look and was taken for a drive . Unfortunately It was very expensive , about AU4 1 million at the time and the engine had been replaced by a Z series Mk V and the back axle froma MK VII or 120. But I took the opportunity to take a lot of pics of the chassis mods and when I got home , duplicated the same one son the new car 's chassis I was putting together. The original was extensively drilled but was showing no sign of distress. The top of the rails was drilled with 3/4"holes
I would post some of the # 8 pics but this was pre digital days. The pic here is a pretty exact copy of the factory # 8 chassis. And with all these holes it is still very rigid.

Those brackets on the holey chassis were probably added on for some unknown purpose. The original crossmember doesn’t extend past the lap joint seam of the two pieces of the frame rails but this one extends out past the edge of the rail. Here is a photo of a FHC chassis showing the front frame horns with the stacked double bumper-iron mount holes and the extra platform on the rear crossmember. This photo snagged from eBay, but there are similar photos in Urs’ book.