XK120 OTS seat frames

I recently purchased a 1952 XK120 replica and the car came with the leather seat kit for a real XK120. The seats that are in the car are not desirable at all.

Does anyone know where I can get the OEM seat frames or know of anyone fabricating them ?

my cell is 425-530-0788. any help would be much appreciated

Ross,

They turn up on eBay a few times a year. You might consider placing a want ad in the Jag-Lovers classifieds.

Hi Ross:

I just checked my S.N.G.Barratt catalogue and they list seat cushion frames for XK120, part numbers BD3253 (RH) and BD3252 (LH).

Chris.

Thanks, that would cover the bottom cushions dilemma. Now for the seat backs :blush:

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XK-120-XK120-XK-140-XK140-XK-150-SEAT-FRAMES-/263087151150?hash=item3d4137582e:m:mrnXb1a1hr1JqBPeAAcD06g&vxp=mtr

the price on these is way to high particulary when you are tooled up to make quantity
They can be made quite easily at home without to many tools but you need something to copy from.
I have seen some of the repros and they use real cheap plywood and generally aren’t that good.
The other aspect is there are at least 6 different sets of seats to pick from and thinking about it it may even be 7!
So you need to get the right seats for the right car.
And even more so in that you want to match seat covers to something you don’t have yet.
terry

Agreed, Terry. These are not complex pieces and are easily recreated if you have the crappy originals on hand to make templates. The plywood used to make the seat backs was Baltic birch. Still available in 5’x5’ sheets. If authenticity’s high on your radar you also need to take care to include the correct number of leather pleats in the covers. 25 years ago I had to supply my originals to GW Bartlett (now OSJI) for replacements for my '54 because they didn’t have the correct pattern on hand.

Thanks Terry. Yes a good pattern to copy from would be great. I do have the leather kit for a real XK120 that maybe I could pattern a plywood form from. I can also fiberglass over this plywood for a super strong base. I might buy the bottom foam and construct my own seat backs.
Yes 1,400-1,600 dollars is a little spendy for reconstructed frames only.

Can i be a heretic and suggest using bucket seats from a Jaguar C. Since your car is replica, I assume you are not an all original fanatic. The buckets seats are both more comfortable when driving and give more space between you and the steering wheel - great if you are tall. But they are not adjustable.

I bought mine in England; seats from Guy Broad and leather installed by Suffock & Turley.

I have a pair of steel seat back frames, metal frame part only. If interested contact me at etype38@comcast.net

interesting photo of seat backs but they are not XK120 but xK140.
Are these repros as they are different to normal 140 seat backs?
Looking at photos carefully they are reproductions

Ross, when you say “replica”, do you mean the car has a plaque on the instrument panel that says “Certified that This Jaguar car is an exact REPLICA of the record breaking car which achieved the speed of…”
If so, then this may be a normal 120 with the Special Equipment options.
The chassis number would clarify this question.
The term “replica” can be and is used in two different contexts and with two different meanings.
Built by the Jaguar factory.
or
Built on some other type chassis by another fabricator.
I’ve met many people who misinterpreted the plaque.

The car is a fiberglass reproduction of the XK120. It is possible the interior dimensions could be slightly different

Thanks for the suggestion but I love the original OTS design. It just looks better. This car isn’t going to be driven great distances but the original seats will be comfortable enough. The car wasn’t built forsake and hauling anyway. I can always stuff a surfboard in tnto the passenger area :slight_smile: