XK120 OTS: Windshield Side Posts Threaded Plates Size?

Hello Again All –

Does anyone have the dimensions of the two threaded backing plates that secure the bottoms of each windshield side post to the car body? Mine were replaced (with a hokey washer setup) in the distant past by a previous owner and I’m wanting to make new ones. I’m guessing each one is about 5" in length by 1-3/8" width and as much as 3/4" in thickness? Does that sound about right? I’m striving for authenticity here. Also, are they of mild steel?

As always, thanks for any replies.

Christopher; refer to Jaguar XK140 EXPLORED, Plate 10-k1.
This is for XK140 of course, but my understanding is entire windscreen assembly is the same as for XK120, including these two BD.10220 Tapped Plates.

They are 3/4" x 4-3/4", and 3/8" thick with two drilled/tapped 3/8"UNF holes.

The bolts that secure the windscreen side pillars to these BD.10220 tapped plates are 3/8" UNF x 1-3/4" long, and use a special Plain Washer and an External Shakeproof Washer under each bolt head.

Its all illustrated with line drawings in Plate 10-k1.

Roger

Oh, great. Another Viart contradiction?

Hi Roger. Thanks for replying. I don’t have the XK140 book but I do have the one for the '120. So I looked in it to see if this part is referenced – and it is. But with a contradiction. Pg 418 – plate 10-j9 says 3/8 UNF bolts in one illustration and 1/2 BSF in another. The Jag parts catalog says 1/2 BSF bolts. My windshield post holes are 1/2" sized and so are the holes on the car body (late '50). So I’m inclined to go with 1/2 BSF bolts but am wondering if the 3/4" width dimension might be too narrow for 1/2 BSF bolts?

This is why I come here – to find out what’s on our cars in the real world.

G’day Chris,

As per my comment, I was specifically referring to XK140 tapping plates BD.10220, and these plates and associated bolts and washers I personally measured and checked.
But no, I haven’t personally checked and measured XK120 tapping plates, assuming most probably the same given the windscreen pillars themselves are the same.

But a quick look now in the XK120 SPC, I see these tapping plates are an earlier part number BD.4672, so they are NOT the same as the XK140 BD.10220 plates.

As you say the bolts are FB.108/14D - so 1/2"BSF x 1-3/4 long, FW.108/T plain washers (1/2"BSF-steel) and C.728 Shakeproof Washers (1/2" BSF - Internal Shakeproof - .870" OD), so all significantly larger than XK140 use. No idea thus about actual plate dimensions, I haven’t physically checked/measured - sorry about that.

Roger