XK120 pedal sizes

Having just fitted new carpets to my 120 OTS, I necessarily had to remove the pedals in order to fit the driver’s side toe board carpet and underfelt. I’ve read that the original arrangement was simply two holes for the pedal shafts, not with splits down to the holes as many people do on 120s, though I think this may have been correct for XK140 and 150…
However, I did notice that the clutch and brake pedals are significantly different to each other, and I would have expected them to be identical. One has a gradual curve to the rod (looks normal) and the other has a much more acute bend in it. Also, the brake pedal pad is shorter where the rubber mounts, and thus the rubber is shorter too. Can anyone tell me what might be going on?? Should have taken a pic while they were out!

yes hole only no split from top down or bottom up.
The curvature of 1/2 bar is different as the pivot point of brake and clutch is different
terry

Ah, that explains it Terry. Should the pedal pads/rubbers be the same length as each other? Are the 120s the same as 140/150s?

Chris:

If the pedal rubbers are the originals they should be identical. Bill Bassett makes pedals that are appreciably smaller the the originals (for those of us with big feet) and they have identical rubbers to the originals, is it possible someone has fitted one of those at some point?

I have the Bassett pedals on my XK120 and the rubbers measure four and a quarter inches long, the originals are five and a half inches.

Chris.

That’s very helpful, Chris. I’ll go and measure mine today.

I measure 4-5/8" on the steel channel. These are welded onto the curved round rod at different places, and may be different for FHC/DHC. Saloons also used similar pedals, so you could have a saloon pedal.
The accelerator pedal is longer, about 6-5/8".

Thanks, guys. I measured them today and they are BOTH 5 1/2" long, so are standard length. I had thought one was shorter, but it must have been the excessive wear on it that threw me. So, I’ll just get a new rubber - easy-peasy!

Interesting is: I have both pedals, from my March 1953 XK120 OTS, SE. left drive, tandem m/c (no way to know if original or not) .on the bench: there are differences between brake and clutch pedal rods. The clutch has a higher arch to the rod…and the arch shape differs. The brake hi-point of the arch is 2 9/16, the clutch hi -point 3 7/16 and that hi point is much closer to the pedal…so the arch shape is different. If the pedals are set standing on the pedal plate, side by side the difference is very noticeable…and the angle of the pedal plate is slightly different when so placed…: the brake plate being ever so slightly more to the vertical than the clutch plate. with the pedal plates lined up…the pedal rod on the clutch is about 1/8 or so longer. Rod end to plate is 10 inch brake,; and 10 1/8.inch on the clutch: the metal plate for for the pad is the same on each…5 1/4 x 1 3/8… a channel in the center with a rather crude weld, rod to plate in the channel…(the side opposite rod, where the rubber pad will cover it. The corners of the plate are very slightly rounded off. The rod end has a 3/8 wide detent notch , its center is 1/2 in from the rod end. I did not find part #. the clutch rod has the hi-er arch…the brake a flatter one. When viewed, set on rod end and plate end…and the brakerod attaches to the plate lower on the plate …2 in from plate base end. while the clutch is attached at 3 in from plate end. I labeled them when taking them off…No way to know if in the years of prior owners ever removed/replaced. The pedal pads are 5 1/2 x 1 5/8…These Pads are no doubt replacement pads. Photos to come. (I have the shorter pedal set from Bassett and like em. ) BTW…I used trim adhesive on the inner side of the pad–to plate. Nick

Nick, it sounds like an exact description of my pedals, so it seems mine are correct. My brake one has had a couple more grooves made for the tightening bolt, so the pedal can be adjusted in a bit, to be not so high in relation to the accelerator. I’ve ordered new standard rubbers. Are you saying you’ve replaced the pedals and rubbers from Bassett? Otherwise you’d surely have to shorten the pads to get the smaller rubbers on…?

Nick, further to my last reply: I’ve been studying my copy of “XK120, the Anatomy of a Cult Object” Vol 1 bu Urs Schmid, and it shows there are a number of variations on the pedals, depending on whether the car is RHD or LHD, and whether the single or tandem brake master cylinder is fitted. Mine is a Dec 1950 car, RHD. My clutch pedal arm is shorter than those of the later cars, with only one notch for the pinch bolt. The brake one (single m/cyl) has the more pronounced curve and it is welded lower down on the pedal pad than the clutch one. This seems to agree with the Schmid book.

I have replaced the originals: brake and clutch rods…with the Bassett set…pedals are not so hi…so my knee does not contact steer wheel etc… The pads I described were on the original pedal rods/plate.

Understood, Nick. However, I’m wondering if you’ve got your brake & clutch arms mixed up in your description of the original items? My brake arm is definitely the one with the more pronounced and asymmetric curve, and the pictures in the Schmid book appear to agree with this… I do realize that your 120, being a late car, would most likely have had the tandem master cylinder, so it would probably differ a bit. However, I think the clutch arms would be all the same curve, except the early ones were a bit shorter and with only one groove.

the clutch rod has the hi-er arch…the brake a flatter one. When viewed, set on rod end and plate end…and the brakerod attaches to the plate lower on the plate …2 in from plate base end. while the clutch is attached at 3 in from plate end. I labeled them when taking them off…No way to know if in the years of prior owners ever removed/replaced. Nick

That’s interesting, Nick. My brake also attaches to the plate nearer the bottom, like yours. But my brake rod has the more pronounced curve… Viart’s “XK120 Explored” lists 4 different part numbers for brake arms - RHD early & late, LHD early & late. Maybe this explains the differences.