Xk120 rear Spline Brake fitment

Thanks, Charles.

I’m fairly confident that the dished front drums were unique to the wire-wheels. The flat drums were used all around on disc-wheels.

I asked the question, knowing that it was a wire-wheeled car we were talking about.

Regards,

Dick

Hi Rob,
Thanks (once again) for clearing this up. The manual is not outdated, but is correct. It does require reading carefully, however. As I look at it now, it states the different position of the bearing retainer plate for the 120 versus MK VII in multiple places, which I had not detected as I too quickly scanned the manual. Kenneth Burgi, the originator of this thread, also picked up on this and showed it in a picture of the manual page above. Problem solved!

Tom Brady

very early XK120’s with ENV diffs had I believe a bolt on type hub to fit WW and wire wheels on theses early cars are few and far between.
When the salisbury diff was fitted both 2HA and 4HA the WW hubs replaced the existing hubs on the axle taper on the rear the drums were flat and had a slighter smaller PCD the front WW hubs also replaced the existing disc wheel hubs and the brake drum had about a 1 inch dish in it once again the PCD of studs on WW hub was slightly smaller than disc wheel PCD
all disc wheel cats had flat front brake drums

I hadn’t heard this, Terry. One theory for the change to from ENV to Salisbury was the increasing demand for wire wheels. Of course, today the ENV is far easier to convert to wires than the Salisbury, via the readily available splined adapters which bolt to the existing wheels studs. I changed my wires back to disc wheels on the rear in a matter of minutes. Had to find front hubs with the wheel studs, though.