XK120 shifter lever

I’m hoping some kind soul can tell me the order of washers, spring washers, etc on the shaft through the base of the gear lever (the fulcrum for the fore/aft movement of the lever). I seem to have got mine mixed up, or maybe someone previously did. There is a double-spring washer, and I don’t know which side of the lever it should go. None of the diagrams in books and workshop manual seem to show the order clearly.

Many thanks, Rob - most helpful.
Chris

You will find that they only work one way. Ask how I know :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’re right. At the moment I have the spring washer on the other side and it seems indecisive whether to select 1st or reverse. I think swapping things over should cure that.
Chris

Called thackray washers. if looking for them. [ although often called thackery, or thackrey.}

Thanks, Ed. I actually ordered a Thackray washer for my boot lid prop. Couldn’t think of the proper name off the top of my head on this post!

I can’t quite tell from these pictures exactly which order the two sets of washers go, on the gear lever fulcrum. I can’t be sure which are fibre and which are steel. The spare parts catalogue isn’t a great deal of help.
The small one is, I think: L to R (looking from the top and from the rear of the 'box) Thakrey washer, fibre washer, gear lever pivot, steel washer. The big one I’m not so sure about… I don’t really understand the purpose of having fibre washers at all, actually?

Chris L:
Always think of a/the “Red Fibre Washers” as a/the “Lubricating” washer… The steel may bind, but the fiber will (generally) always “slip” (assuming the parts are in good shape, not rust encrusted, delaminating, etc.)
Charles Ch# 677556.

Near as I can determine by scraping them without taking the whole thing apart, here is what I have, never disassembled that I know of.
shifter washers
The parts books call them thrust washers, which act like an axial loaded bearing.
Then there is one steel washer with a D shaped hole which is called the locking washer. It is needed for strength there because the spring washer would wreck a fiber washer if it was used there without anything to back it up.

Great advice, guys! It makes sense that the fibre washers are there to protect the alloy on the gearbox cover from wear. They don’t seem quite so necessary to me, on the gear lever pivot. Maybe, as Charles says, it’s more about lubrication in case things get dry. I believe the fibre washers were made of Tuffnell originally.