XK120 single system silencer

Rob, having studied the XK120 parts manual’s relevant pages on the exhaust system, I’m starting to formulate some conclusions, which may or may not be correct, so please (anyone!) put me right if I’m off course.
The plate only shows one style of exhaust tail pipe which has what looks like a horizontal welded mounting tab which looks rather like the type shown on P144 of XK120 Explored, and which seems to be the type shown by modern exhaust suppliers. I believe this may the type used on later cars with the Salisbury axle. It would mount to the floor of the spare wheel tray with a simple rubber bobbin, and exit inboard of the rear LH bumper.
As the ENV axle tube casing is noticeably deeper near to the differential compared to the Salisbury, I suspect that the tail pipe had to do a slight turn to the left and downwards (looking forward from the rear of the car) to avoid contacting the axle on full droop. Whether this happened via an angled stub on the silencer, or on the tail pipe itself, I’m not sure. This type of tail pipe would be the side-exiting design, and the SPC mentions a “link bracket for tail pipe suspension” C4155, used with tail pipe C4149. It could be that some later cars with the ENV had a similar pipe, except for it exiting under the LH rear bumper, but still using the same suspension bracket…? This type of tail pipe was used for cars with chassis numbers 660059-660983 (RHD) and 670185-672143 (LHD) which seems to more or less coincide with the use of the ENV axle on early steel-bodied cars.
I’d be interested to hear any views on the subject!

Does anyone in fact know of an exhaust company that can supply the early side-exit or rear exit (under the LH bumper) tail pipe??

Chris:

My single, rear exit system came from Double ‘S’ Exhausts Ltd. and was purchased from Norman Motors n London, England. It is manufactured in stainless steel with a woven mesh flexible coupling in the down pipe. Purchased in 1999 it has performed well for 20 years.

Chris.

I’ll give them a call, Chris. Thanks for the tip.

I’m now getting somewhere with the tail pipe! PD Gough have been very helpful in sending pictures of their XK120 single system patterns, which are actual NOS Jaguar parts. As I suspected, the exit pipe from the silencer bends immediately down and to the left, presumably so the pipe clears the thicker inboard part of the ENV axle tube. Slightly surprised to see it was mitred. I’m hoping I can achieve the same effect by putting on a short bend section of the correct angle to mate up with the new tail pipe. My silencer just has a straight stub.
I will be ordering a tail pipe from them. Then it’s just a matter of fabricating a bracket to mount to the chassis as shown Tadek’s picture above. Urs Schmid shows this same bracket, mounted under the front bolt which attaches the LH bumper bracket under the chassis leg.

That’s excellent. I now have a new respect for PD Gough.
Mitered ends are also found on Mark V exhaust, and for the same reason, getting around the rear axle.
Mark V exhaust 001