Xk120 starter stuck

Now to figure out why the starter died. They’re actually very robust and hard to kill. When mine didn’t have sufficient ooomph to turn the engine over I took it apart to discover the negative terminal post was grounding out against the windings. I slipped on a new insulator and it was good to go.

WD40 wins again.
It may be the pinion shaft just needs cleaning and grease.
While you have it out, might as well clean the commutators and see how the brushes are.

Hi,
Haven‘t we agree to oil and not grease?
Grease is getting firmer after some time and interrupting the movement.
Or have I saved it wrong in my brain?
Thomas

I took it to a local shop.the starter motor is fine, the issue is the pinion gear and set up. He is looking at it and will let me know tomorrow.

Its probably high time to buy a new starter, look into the starter cavity
something is holding it in.
Bosh co. has a good starter, rockauto.com

Walter

Good luck if you need a new pinion, 10 tooth pinions are unobtainable.

Would you know if the flywheel had been changed and if so how many teeth on the new flywheel? Dark thoughts I know!!

As far as I know the original flywheel is still in the car. Did not look like much damage toe either the pinion gear or the flywheel from what I could see. Car was starting fine and running then the pinion hung up. this car had been sitting for some time so i figure it may just need some lovin. I will find out today.

Got the starter back, and the two six volt batteries seem to be dead and will not recharge. I have an odyssey battery on order. Can’t wait to see her go.