XK120 Steering Arm

While greasing and checking around last week I noticed that the split pin was missing on rocker shaft nut. To my shame has probably not been there since I got the car 5 years ago.
I cant see the hole and suspect the drop arm needs to be higher on the shaft as can see splines on the shaft above the arm.
It looks like to do this I need to remove the steering box from the car, starting with dismounting the column (workshop I.14) - cant get a spanner on in situ.

Words of advice, caution, wisdom please before I start taking things off the car.

First, get a mirror and see if you can see the alignment marks on the bottom.
If they are aligned, you don’t need to take anything apart, just tighten the nut until you can see the hole for the split cotter pin. You might have to remove the two bolts so you can raise the box up a bit to get a wrench on the nut.

That said, on my 120 I can see a little bit of splines, and on my Mark V (same basic steering column) I can see a bit more, maybe 1/8", and I know the nuts are tight because I did them myself.
So you may not have a problem except the trick of getting a split cotter pin in there.

Thanks Rob, is that the two bolts 43 that will allow the box to move up a bit ?

Yes, #43.

Bit more fiddling, adjusting and managed to get a split pin in…thanks for the help

1 Like