XK120 steering idler

That certainly is for LHD, fitting on the right side.
Just like my LHD Mark V.

There ought to be plenty of donor RHD MkVs in Australia.

Thank you Bob, in this case I will start a new thread to find such an idler.

After consulting the spare parts manual I’ve discovered that the nut at the bottom of the idler shaft was originally a slotted one with split pin. It was changed to a plain nut with a locking washer - I wonder why? There appears to be a small hole under the idler arm near the tapered hole which I presume is for locating one of the bent down tangs on the washer to stop it turning. Part of the washer is then tapped up against one of the flats on the nut to lock it. Have I got this right? I’m wondering if drilling the shaft for a split pin to use with a slotted nut would be a preferable setup? Is this washer available?

Hi Chris
I will have a look at the underside of the original idler arm if there are signs of such a tappered hole next weekend and let you know.
I am still looking for a RHD idler to prevent my LHD idler from “modification”… Just to say :+1:
Best Regards
Lukas

Lukas,
Here’s a picture of the idler arm.

The little holes are for special washers with keeper tails.

If you can’t find them, they would be easy to make out of a large body washer, just grind away a couple of notches leaving the tail.
Two sides are folded up against flats on the nut.
It works well unless the idler shaft gets rusty and stuck.

I had these tab washers lazer cut along with the tabs for rear springs ball joints etc

1 Like

Rob R;
At least BOTH OF US!!
Charles #677556.

Thanks, guys - as I thought!

Hi Chris
Sorry my late response.
The idler arm of 660097 has the holes exactly like the one on the preceding pictures.
Presently there are toth washers under the nuts.
I will go for the “modified bodwashers” as soon as I found an original RHD idler to replace the current home made part.
Best Regards
Lukas

Lukas,
the correct tab washers are available from Coventry Auto Components.

Thank you Chris for those good news, I have anyway to order some parts :+1:
Best Regards
Lukas

Coventry Auto Components can now supply the RHD steering idler housing - £150 + VAT.

1 Like

Hi Chris
Thank you very much for your message.
Meanwile I found a RHS steering Idler in Australia :+1:
The XK is back on the road :blush:
Best Regards
Lukas

1 Like