XK120SE Head Casting Question

In the XK data page it looks like this car shows DN on the gearbox #. Odd for a 120

I am told the DN was an input error

Nick, - that’s certainly a major aspect of my examination - as before, a lot of exchange re this head and car behind the scenes. But yes, with the large cast ‘C’ in the spark plug valley at odds with the stamped in engine number - F2886-8S; and the stamped in HSN - AL800, with the F2886-8S stamping clearly a fake, and as Terry pointed out, and I agree the AL800 also looking very suspicious; I wanted to examine other parts of the head. So yes, I was looking for the cast numbers under the head, can’t be faked like stamped in numbers - expecting to see not just C7700 but also the expected C3; but there was nothing, but clear evidence of something originally in that area being ground/filed off. You have to wonder, why have these cast numbers been ground off, why has the F2886-8S stamping been faked, and why does the AL800 also look suspect. The initial inquiry was whether this was a numbers-matching head, so what exactly does that mean. I think a numbers matching head is the original engine Number stamped head that matches the Engine Number stamped onto a cars original Chassis Plate. I don’t think a replacement head from what I believe is a 1955/56 XK140MC, with all its identifiers changed or ground off is a numbers matching head… Having said that - what is a numbers matching XK120. This car S675455, if you check photos on XKData, left the factory as a Special Equipment XK120 as denoted by the S prefix to its Chassis Number and the S suffix to its original Engine Number. The photos clearly show a superbly restored Disc wheeled car, with full spats (wheel covers) fitted over rear wheels, and a single exhaust system. A numbers matching XK120 as far as I am concerned should be as per the numbers say - thus wire-wheels, no spats and a dual exhaust system. There are those that may say none of this matters, and indeed to some that may well be the case, but if I was looking at paying USD$250K and wanted a numbers-matching car, I would not be buying this car…
No one is saying at what point in this XK120s 68 year history it lost its original A-type head and had the current XK140 C-type head fitted, not at what point it lost its original wire wheels/ brass-beaded rear wheel arches. Indeed every chance it had been done years before its current restoration - doesn’t matter. The car currently for sale is not ‘numbers matching’.

1 Like

so Dennis…started out with this…looking for a car to buy: and it does seem to be for sale. I have not yet studied all photos …closely and magnified…but will. It is an interesting restoration…and looks to be nicely done. However it came to be what it is…messy numbers, and disc wheels, from what it was is a mystery. A 120 restored to hi quality can certainly get by just fine with a later cyl head when that head has its correct numbers…not a big deal for many. I’d say for those in the $200 K market tho the changes ARE A BIG DEAL. Put the nice car in the $100 K range and those issues are minimized if it is the nice XK120, with features you like. Still…is the chassis number visible? And the engine number of the flat? A lot of people could be happy with that car…but not at $200K plus. (IMHO)
Nick

Nick, & all, Dennis & I have been in correspondence concerning this car. The steel wheel & spats are very interesting to me since the car’s Heritage Trust certificate shows it to be a legitimate special equipment. Do we know if an XK120 SE ever left the factory with steel wheels and spats ?
All the best, K

Hi Nick, you are right on point with your price to value analysis. You asked about pics of chassis No and engine No —-that part checked out

This did not.