XK140 DHC on Andy Griffith Show Mayberry

Here are some snapshots of William Christopher driving an XK140 DHC into Mayberry in his role as the new town doctor.

He is young and unmarried and the sports car and golf clubs are mentioned distainfully, so everybody in town is hesitant about him, until he does a tonsilectomy on Opie.

That XK saved Opie’s life. No good dad would have allowed a doctor to operate on their son if the doc would have showed up in a beat up VW!!! Opie would have died and the show would have been cancelled.
That said…we never saw the Doc nor the XK again. I guess he could not make a living in Mayberry to make his car payments and he had to move back to NY City. LOL
Abe

You are a fine story teller with a great imagination Abe. Keep em coming.

Hi Rob
Thanks for posting those pictures, I don’t recall ever seeing that episode. Too bad the good Doctor didn’t end up staying in Mayberry for very long, but thankfully, he apparently did save Opie.

Im really starting to like the clean appearance of the standard (non-J type) headlamps.

That 140 has an antenna neatly tucked against the left A pillar.
It also has the orange coloured turn signal lenses on the front. I recall, someone in the past has given a reason why some 140s had the clear or white lenses, and why some had the orange coloured lenses, but I presently forget the reason.

That 140 looks much like mine, (battleship) grey, with red interior. My car also has the slightly dented front bumper overriders.

The show was sponsored by Ford, so I suppose that was why they chose a 10 year old sports car for him to create the fresh out of college image, rather than a new Corvette. The US license plate is smudged out; I wonder why it had a UK plate MBB 624 and if it can be traced to a chassis number?
Either there weren’t enough maladies and injuries or not enough unmarried gals in Mayberry to write shows around, so Bill Christopher became a British Lieutenant on Hogan’s Heroes, then demoted to a German soldier on the same show, then a Marine private on Gomer Pyle, before making Army Lieutenant and eventually Captain as Father Francis Mulcahey on MASH.