XK140 - Jack initiation by fire

I was out in my XK140 with my wife last night and we got a flat tire. I thought we were screwed and I was about to call for a flatbed but decided to check out the goodies under the shelf in my trunk that I had never really paid much attention to. Sure enough, there was a spare that had air, as well as the funky T-shaped jack and ratchet, and a hammer. Everything I needed, really. I just had to figure out how and where to properly use the jack on the car. A quick Google search lead me to pull up the front carpet and remove the oval lid covering the hole in the floor where the jack goes through. From there I removed the rubber stopper in the part where the T jack goes in the frame and inserted the jack. After about 5 minutes of hammer banging and jack ratcheting we were happily on our way, it all worked great!

6 Likes

Well done, John. The first step on that slippery slope towards electrical gremlin chasing and engine rebuilding that has trapped many of us. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Contrasted with the time a couple of months ago when I pulled into the grocery lot and found a new Jaguar XJ being hauled up on a flat bed. I asked the driver what was wrong and he said “Flat tire, going to the dealer.” The dealer is 15 miles away. There is a Firestone shop 200 feet away.

…and a quarter of the price, I’ll bet.

Hi Rob, I’ve already exorcised electrical demons and rebuilt the engine. I just never had occasion to deal with the peculiar, but very effective jack.