XK140 OIL SUMP search

Greetings, I require the wisdom of the forum.

I am working on a 3.4 “G” late XK140 engine that is missing the oil sump. The “G” has the late oil pump. This engine is going into an XK120 coupe which sadly lost it’s original engine.

No one seems to have a 140 sump they will part with. Would a 3.4 XK150 sump fit or a S1 3.8 Etype sump ? I imagine the oil pick-up plumbing would change with the pan?

Any leads would be welcome. I have spent hours searching EBay and calling the suppliers. I am sure someone has one decorating their garage wall and surplus to need! Treasure awaits…

Alan

The part number is C.8592.
Are you aware that it was also used on late Mark VII, all Mark VIII and all Mark IX?
Engine numbers D6723-D9999, all N serial numbers, also NA, NC and NE serial numbers.
I don’t know what happened to NB, either they skipped it or it didn’t get into the parts catalogues.
Try Jag parts recyclers like Jaguar Heaven in Stockton Calif. or Welsh in Steubenville OH.
There is another one in Atlanta but I don’t know the name.

Did you call Jaguar Heaven in Stockton ? Also Coventry West in Atlanta

Thank you for the suggestions Pat. I have tried Jaguar Heaven but not Coventry West. Will do!

Alan

Thank you Rob.

Given your advice, I will now be able to describe the sump accurately . I was unaware it was used on so many sedan cars. I will widen the search.

Alan

Here is a picture.
C8592%20sump
and the basket that goes inside.
sump%20basket%20oil%20pump

Alan,

There’s a XK 140 sump at Ebay right now. Don’t know whether it’s early or late and whether the price is correct.

Good luck, Bob K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XK140-Sump/132721468638?hash=item1ee6d0e4de:g:X0YAAOSwYSBbXIRp&vxp=mtr

Good spotting! Must have just been listed. The seller does not do international shipping and I am in Canada…I have contacted him to request an exception.

Fingers crossed…

Hi Allan:

Where in Canada are you located?

Chris.

Southern BC. 40C today…Bringing in the hay.

Can’t you buy new ones somewhere…!?!

Not since about 1962.

Rob,

Very helpful pic. That is the sump I have on a B series block (Mk 7?) fitted to an XK120.

My question is - Bernard Viart’s XK120 Explored shows that the XK120 sump is fitted to the block with 5/16th UNF fittings. All of these are 3/4" length, apart from one which is 5/8th [incorrectly described by Viart as 5/16th]. Is this the case with the XK140/Mk 7 sumps?

Grateful for any enlightment to a question that has puzzled me. Thanks.

That is true for Mk VII, as well as VIII, IX, 120, 140 and 150. Maybe all XK engines, I don’t know.
It is the forward most screw into the block on the right hand side below the distributor.
The reason is that there is interference with the horizontal bolt holding on the timing cover. Two screws occupying the same space is usually frowned upon by engineers. :grin:

Thanks, Rob.

Much appreciated.

Worse come to worse, I bet Egge Machine could remanufacture it.

I know of another in the UK - has been re-brazed and painted so looks new. Owner will want £300 for it - I had enquired to replace mine due to dents. Mine is a mk7 as pointed out by others.

I have several sumps off 3.8 engines ( MK IX ) and I understand that Canada will be relaxing the shipping ban soon.

I don’t think old car parts are included in the list of restricted items, never mind banned.

You can visit the Canada Border Services Agency website for a complete and updated list of restricted items.

Picking up on the photo of the XK140 sum posted by Rob in Jul 2018, when the correct amount of oil has been introduced into the sump, most of it will be housed below the baffle. But what level would show above the baffle - an inch or two?. Presumably it would not be so much as to risk oil finding its way out at the rear seal?