XK140 Wiper Motor Removal

XK140 FHC

Looks like something unpleasant has occurred inside my DR1 wiper motor with it popping its supply fuse. Put it on a 10Amp bench power supply and it trips it. I’m pretty sure the rack is free. I’ve always removed (and installed) these with the rack attached but that means dashboard out and I think I’d rather just not go out in the rain!

Question is - Can the motor be separated from the rack easily or does it need to be pretty well dismantled in situ first?

Bob,

As far as I remember…
If you open the aluminium cover (held by 3 screws) you can detach the wiper rack from the motor. There’s a “star lock washer” at one end of the connecting rod that needs to be removed after which you can simply lift the connecting rod and remove the rack from the cross-head.
What you see under the cover includes the “end switch” for the wiper motor to park correctly. Better leave that as is (at least when your wiper motor parked correctly).

Bob K.

I have much the same motor system on my Triumph and MKII.
Which also looks similar to my XXK150.
Leaving the wipers in place, I’ve pulled the motor, along with the drive cable, a few times.
Should come out easily. You just have to fiddle with it a bit on re-install.

I took mine off a while ago but I didn’t take the rack out to begin with. I seem to remember that if you take off the cover you can lift out the final gear with cross head attached but memory isn’t as good as it was.

Eric