XK150 5speed conversion

Put a T5 5 speed trans into this 59 XK150. Installed a new aluminum flywheel purchased from SNG, new Bork & Beck Clutch kit. I can’t seem to get enough adjustment so the clutch disengages all the way. I have replaced the slave cyl. with a new one. With the car on the lift and the wheels off the ground I can shift into all 5 gears, does not want to go into reverse real smoothly. When I set the wheels on the ground I just barely try to put it into gear and the car will move. Any ideas???

When in neutral, not running, and when you push the actuator rod all the way into the slave, how much free play do you have?

You might simply need s longer actuator rid.

When I restored my xk150 I have put a diagram clutch in.
Then you need a thicker thrustbearing.
For the standard clutch you need to use the thinner one.
What did you use?

regards,
Peter Jan

I set the free play at roughly 1 1/4 as instructed in the manual. I was wondering if a longer rod would do the trick. I may give that a shot. It is real close to being OK. The only other thing it could be is that aluminum flywheel is a little thicker than the original. Never thought to check it prior to installation.

Thanks.

Thomas A Brown
nhdentfixer@aol.com

If you have 1.25inches, I think you found the problem.

Gin up a longer temporary rod about 3/4” longer (allthread, a cutiff carriage bolt) and see if that doesnt cure your problem.

Thomas
I also installed a T5 in my 150, I also have an Alloy flywheel, I had great trouble with the slave cyl. piston popping out , I removed my engine a second time to check the operation of mechanics in the bell housing, I found that the box supplier had supplied me with a thicker clutch plate and I had a 'stacking ’ issue I think he called it. After reinstallation the slave still popped out, I then made a 1 inch longer slave actuating rod , this cured my problem. Make sure your free play at the adj rod is 1/16 with NO spring attached, then adjust your pedal to have the required 1inch free play.
Morris.

Thank You Morris. I will try that. I have also had the engine out twice, do not want to do it again. I will try the rod and pedal adjustments.

Thomas A Brown
nhdentfixer@aol.com

THAT is the solution.

Good Morning,

I was wondering if you know what the correct clutch number is for the thinner clutch they supplied you the second time. I feel that is our problem, the clutch we have is too thick. No matter what I do I can not get the clutch to disengage all the way.

Thanks.

Thomas A Brown
nhdentfixer@aol.com

I used the one that came with the Borg & Beck clutch kit.