XK150 exhaust system

I need to replace the exhaust system in my XK150. I have reviewed the offerings from the usual suspects and find that I can only purchase a stainless steel system. I prefer the sound of a mild steel system. Is anyone on the list aware of where I may purchase a mild steel system.
The other option I am considering is purchasing the front pipes in stainless then have the remainder of the system made up locally in mild steel. Is anyone aware of problems that may arise by mixing the stainless steel with the mild steel.
I do not have the original front down pipes only from those pipes back and obviously not original.
Any suggestions are welcome.
I am located in Calgary if that makes any difference.
Chris

a really fine exhaust shop…one that does hot rods and customs should be able to fabricate any exhaust…: do ask about the pipe bend machine that does bends without crimps.

Nick, thanks. After reading previous posts on ss exhausts I think I will follow your suggestion and find a rod shop locally that can build one in mild steel.

I had that done for my 120. It is a “mandrel” bender that maintains diameter thru the bends. Up to you to determine the muffler or resonator type you want…depends on the sound you want. For me it was healthy rumble on the louder side…I selected a resonator tip style…no muffler…the resonator does the muffle in the exhaust tip…Ansa, Others are Flowtech, Borla…see on the SummitRacing website. My dog knows when I am nearly home.

if you weld most if not all the bends are available on line in canada

John,
Are you able to recommend Cdn vendors for the “bends”?
Chris

Following this thread with interest. I am planning on making up (mig-welding) my own system using off-the-shelf mild-steel components. I’m doing this as the chassis that arrived with my car was modified by a PO with a second hole to allow for a dual exhaust system a-la XK150 to be fitted. The only challenge I see is where to source the parts that clamp to the manifolds - the square clamps along with the first parts of the down tubes that are Radius’d.

Can these be bought new from somewhere?

Simon.

Simon,
I thought about that. If I go that route I will source some appropriate thickness cold rolled flat stock mild steel, cut it to square to suit the manifold (with a hacksaw if I have to) then put the pieces in a four jaw chuck on the lathe, drill and bore to take the pipe size, then drill the mounting holes. Then weld the pipe in. The only problem I see is sourcing the flexible piece of pipe required.

The other option is to purchase the front down pipes in stainless (from one of the usual suppliers) which includes the flex pipe then build the system from there back in mild steel. The only question with this method is reaction between the stainless and mild steels. My metalurgy knowledge has long gone with the rest of my mind.
Chris

Hi Chris
Canadian Tire used to sell a wide variety of flex pipes in the aisle where they sell exhaust pipes and clamps.
Recently however, their selection of flex pipes has been reduced.
That is the first place I would try, if you choose to build your own exhaust system.

Chris
I have front and rear in stainless, and mild steel mufflers, there is no change in 150 exhaust note.
A stainless muffler will definitely change the exhaust note with more of a raaasp!!
I have two sets of front pipes spare, but mailing cost from Vancouver Isl. to Calgary could be prohibitive.
I have no problem with mixing stainless and mild steel. My local Midas muffler bent two rear pipes for me in stainless using the old ones as a copy. I supplied them the stainless pipe from my local metal store.

That’s exactly what I did, I got a Falcon stainless system, but the mufflers were huge, something like 3 feet long, and I didn’t want the car to be quiet, so instead of using them, I welded up a couple of feet of mild steel tubing to short straight thru glass pack mufflers.

Canadian Tire still sells glass pack mufflers, but it turned out to be less expensive to get the inexpensive unpainted mild steel glass packs sent from Summit, in the USA.

Morris,
Shipping cost from BC will be less expensive than from the US. I am interested in purchasing the two front pipes you have spare. Perhaps we should take this discussion off forum.
My email is crmcaviney at gmail . com
Chris