XK150 front lower shock absorber bush replacement

I have just replaced these on my XK. They comprise of 2 cones compressed by a big washer and held by a split pin on a rod attached to lower wishbone.
Has anybody been able to replace these with ease? I had to shorten them on the inside so they would squash in enough to fit the washer and split pin in the hole.
I used a bit of tube with 2 slots and a G clamp to compress it all and fit the pin. Without removal of about 1/4" of rubber total I cant see how it would have compressed sufficiently. (Koni Shock)

Adam
In a word NO.
Its been many years since I did mine, but I think I used a couple of vise grips to suck the washer in so as to insert the split pin, you may find the bushings getting a little sloppy sooner than they should now that you have removed some rubber.
A small valve spring compressor could possibly be adapted to squeeze the bushings, also apply lots of hand soap lubricant for next time.
Just wait until you need to replace your lower suspension bushings , %$^%$#^%*.I will say no more.

Regards Morris

I did the Newton shocks on mine and I used a lot of dish soap and two C-clamps. I may have cut off some of the inner end of each rubber cone but I don’t remember now. There may be some size variance among the cone manufacturers. In any case I had to have both clamps compressed pretty tight in order to get the cotter pins in. It seems to have worked anyway.

One time, I used a thin washer, like a body-washer, to gain that last fraction of a mm clearance to allow insertion of the pin.

After releasing the clamps, the rubber bushes expanded, causing the thin washer to bend where it pressed against the pin. Didn’t look too good.

So don’t bother trying to use a thin washer in order to make installation of the pin any easier.

I did the lower sway bar bushes on my car last winter, same problem. The rubber replacements were impossible to fit without shaving a little off the inside edge. I didn’t like doing it, but didn’t see any other option.

Chris.