XK150 Fuel Pump Wiring

My fuel pump stopped working. I removed the bakelite cover. There are three red wires coming from the body. One is connected to the battery (positive ground), one is connected to the fixed side of the points. The third wire has come loose. Any idea where to connect it. I tried connecting to the moving side of the points with no luck.

Pat H.

clip_image0028_thumb

There should be a (usually) uncoated wire on the flipover or outer rocker side of the points connecting to one of the two screws holding the Bakelite frame moulding to the main body, in effect a ground wire.
The two wires from the coil inside the body connect, one to the fixed or spring blade side of the points, and the other to the external terminal which is connected to the ignition circuit, i.e. negative.
There will also be an external ground wire on a screw on the base of the coil body, which should connect to the chassis.

Thanks. But my problem is that there are THREE red wires plus an unshielded braid coming from the body. As you described, the braid goes to the moving side of the points. One red wire is connected to the battery terminal. The second red wire is connected to the fixed side of the points. The third red wire is not connected to anything.

Pat

Hmm, this is an enigma. Are we talking about an SU pump? Mine all have only two wires coming out of the coil body.

Can you post a picture?

I had posted that my pump had three wires coming up from the pump body. Using an ohm meter I determined that two of them went to the solenoid coil and the third was connected to nothing. I went ahead and converted the pump to transistorized switching using the two wires and the pump is now clicking. My problem is that it is still not pumping. I did remove the solenoid unit from the square body and the diaphragm is in good shape. Perhaps there is something inside the square body that has failed? I did install a Facet pump and the car runs fine. I would just prefer to have the SU pump in the car. One other thing, my points arrangement is different. Picture taken before I installed the transistor circuit

Very interesting, I had not seen that version before now. Apparently it is quite a few years newer than mine.
Yes, there are two check valve discs E and F inside the square body that could be stuck closed, preventing any pumping.
Hammering on the body might shake them loose.