XK150 Fuel tank remove & sealer

Great replies all…many thanks…just changed the thread title to include removeing tank…been looking at a blog that has set up their tank on a rotisserie to make cleaning/sealing a bit easier…Bit of a challange today removeing the tank…I assumes you just undo the 4 bolts and dropped the tank…not that easy first the bolts were just turning and i couldnt get to the heads…kept at it and soon had them off…but the tank wouldnt drop…its held in place by the rear panel in the boot thats held on by lots of nuts and slot head screws…so a few hours later i had it out…and tank dropped…tank isnt the original and has been replaced…its quite a well built lump with thick steel…at the bottom there are a couple of what look like brass brazes holding the bottom of the baffels in place…need to reasearch if the cleaners could affect the braze…and need to look closer to see if the whole tank is brazed together…

Very unlikely that the cleaners would attack the brazed joints IMHO

Fit a new one. I got an alli one from guy broad. Do it right do it once.

New use for an engine stand. :grinning:

Hi All…so after spending best part of the day stripping all the undeseal and paint from the tank i can see its had a good few repairs…so rather than spending any more time on it i will order a replacement…(Phil was right)…will go for an aluminium tank but a question for you…there is an option to have it powder coated. …is a bare ali tank suitable or will it need protecting/painting.(UK )…if so then worth the powder coat option…thanks…Steve

I asked guy broad if I should coat the tank to avoid dissimilar metal corrosion from the tank straps etc. I won’t repeat his response but I’m sure you can guess ( no ones ever complained etc etc)
In the end I just wrapped some thin insulating material around the ends of the tank to prevent contact with the straps. I also waxoyled the tank and didn’t have any issues in my 5 year ownership.

With best regards
Philip Dobson

1 Like

One other person’s experience … In my restoration I found flakes of rust in the extra fuel filter I placed coming out of the tank. Too much to trust that a sealer would stick. I took the to my local radiator shop to have it opened, cleaned and brazed closed again. I started with no pinholes, but by the time it was cleaned one or two showed up. I watched the process…and to my dismay every time they brazed one closed another nearby would open up. I ended up buying a new tank in the end.

Next time around I would bite the bullet earlier.