XK150 Generator Strange Markings

Hi,

I have just rebuilt a '59 CV45PVS6 generator. In addition to the expected Lucas markings there is an additional stamping on the yoke “POLK 2 1 73”. Any ideas on what they mean - could it be a rebuilder’s name and date?

When I bought the generator from an auction site, I could not understand why the tensioner ear of the drive bracket was not going to fit on the car. Once the paint had been removed, it turns out it had been cut off and moved!

I was able to find a NOS bracket but, although identical, the part number is not as original, being 238992 F.R. 4 instead of 239012. Anyone know what this part number was intended for - it is not listed in the Lucas master part catalog I have?

Having completed the rebuild - including rebinding the coils - I can’t fit it :frowning: My car has the E-type ‘W’ pulleys, and I can’t swap over the generator pulley because being a C42 type it has a different shaft diameter.

On the lookout for matching water pump and crankshaft pulleys now.

After all this, my generator is still the wrong type, as my car is 5 months younger (May '59) than the generator and it should be a CV45PVS5, but ho-hum.

Regards,
Clive.

p.s. Will post more images of rebuild when permitted.

Here is the butchered end bracket alongside the NOS one. Can’t imagine why this would have been done.

Clive.

Had to rebind the field coils:

All back together:

Clive.

Great work Clive. Its a shame that it wont be seen when its on the car!

A wild guess. Could that have been done to lower the generator and so fit an air con compressor above it?
Not too sure about the geometry of tensioning the belt though.

Well done Clive. Not to many know how to rewind the field coils, which deteriorate with age as much as anything else. You now have a generator as good as new, and none of this crazy modern/expensive alternator upgrades, if indeed it is an upgrade.