Xk150 lower door hinge

looking for advice on removing the hinge and correcting the ware. thanks ken

The door hinge assemblies can be removed repaired and replaced, but it is a tedious, frustrating project due to the difficulty accessing many of the bolts. I have heard stories of people who have cut openings in the body panels to access the hinge box, but this is not necessary.

You do need to remove the interior upholstery panels and the fresh air vent assembly. The rest is mostly a Jaguar yoga exercise using a variety of box, open end, and socket wrenches. A mini socket wrench can be useful and I believe I cut a combination wrench in half at one point. The hinge must also be removed from the hinge box.

The hinge box is usually a tight friction fit and once the bolts are removed, must be tapped out.

New hinge boxes are avaiable. I chose to have mine rebuilt by a service I found on e Bay. They did an excellent job, came back to me better then original equipment with oversized hinge pin. Installed it was smooth and tight. Cost about $ 150 each.

Hope that helps. It is more a matter of patience and persistence then skill.

chris, thanks for the reply. my most immediate problem is getting the pin out of the hinge. i’ve got the nut off but the pin seems stuck in the hinge? ken

In a message dated 11/14/2017 8:51:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Chris47Chris Grace
November 14The door hinge assemblies can be removed repaired and replaced, but it is a tedious, frustrating project due to the difficulty accessing many of the bolts. I have heard stories of people who have cut openings in the body panels to access the hinge box, but this is not necessary.
You do need to remove the interior upholstery panels and the fresh air vent assembly. The rest is mostly a Jaguar yoga exercise using a variety of box, open end, and socket wrenches. A mini socket wrench can be useful and I believe I cut a combination wrench in half at one point. The hinge must also be removed from the hinge box.
The hinge box is usually a tight friction fit and once the bolts are removed, must be tapped out.
New hinge boxes are avaiable. I chose to have mine rebuilt by a service I found on e Bay. They did an excellent job, came back to me better then original equipment with oversized hinge pin. Installed it was smooth and tight. Cost about $ 150 each.
Hope that helps. It is more a matter of patience and persistence then skill.
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Have you tried persuading it with a drift pin? You should be able to access it from under the car. I use an aluminum drift about eight inches long and tap it out , trying to avoid damaging the threads. Soaking it in penetrating oil and getting it to turn back and forth will also help.

They are shoulder bolts.
I had to spread the hinge boxes apart a bit, then use a hack saw blade to cut the pins. At the time I did not own a reciprocating saw, so my hand was pretty sore from doing 8 cuts.
The usual restoration method is to weld support bushings on the top and bottom of the hinge box. Grease fittings are also often added.
There is quite a lot of talk about these in the archives.

hi Ken my pins were also rusted into the hinges and had to cut them with a reciprocating hacksaw.Youll need a long blade and will possibly cut some of the hinge box in the processFor the bottom hinges youll also need access to the nuts from under the back of the guard regards john

john, thanks, ken

In a message dated 11/15/2017 4:11:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

TOADFOOTjohn newton
November 15hi Ken my pins were also rusted into the hinges and had to cut them with a reciprocating hacksaw.Youll need a long blade and will possibly cut some of the hinge box in the processFor the bottom hinges youll also need access to the nuts from under the back of the guard regards john

john, thanks for the advice. i got the hinge out. any tips on removing the hinge box? how many bolts hold the box? ken

In a message dated 11/15/2017 4:11:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

TOADFOOTjohn newton
November 15hi Ken my pins were also rusted into the hinges and had to cut them with a reciprocating hacksaw.Youll need a long blade and will possibly cut some of the hinge box in the processFor the bottom hinges youll also need access to the nuts from under the back of the guard regards john

rob, thanks, i got the hinge out. any advice on removing the hinge box? how many bolts hold the hinge box in? ken

In a message dated 11/14/2017 2:34:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Rob_Reilly
November 14They are shoulder bolts.
I had to spread the hinge boxes apart a bit, then use a hack saw blade to cut the pins. At the time I did not own a reciprocating saw, so my hand was pretty sore from doing 8 cuts.
The usual restoration method is to weld support bushings on the top and bottom of the hinge box. Grease fittings are also often added.
There is quite a lot of talk about these in the archives.

Eight bolts on each hinge box. You need a pair of either 7/16" SAE or 1/4 BSF wrenches. All 32 of mine broke.

thanks, i see 6 so far. 4 on the back of the fender where the hinge comes out, 2 on the back of the box. verticle. looking for the other 2? ken

In a message dated 11/20/2017 7:03:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Rob_Reilly
November 20Eight bolts on each hinge box. You need a pair of either 7/16" SAE or 1/4 BSF wrenches. All 32 of mine broke.

Here is my 120 with 8. I don’t know, 150 might be different.

Hi Ken You will have to get access to the other two from under the car at the rear of the front mudguard. JOHN

thanks john

In a message dated 11/22/2017 5:00:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

TOADFOOTjohn newton
November 22Hi Ken You will have to get access to the other two from under the car at the rear of the front mudguard. JOHN
In Reply To7543
November 21thanks, i see 6 so far. 4 on the back of the fender where the hinge comes out, 2 on the back of the box. verticle. looking for the other 2? ken In a message dated 11/20/2017 7:03:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes: Rob_Reilly November 20Eight bolts on each hinge box. You n…

thanks rob

In a message dated 11/21/2017 6:40:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Rob_Reilly
November 21Here is my 120 with 8. I don’t know, 150 might be different.
PICT0009

rob, thanks. one of these e mails had pics. can’t find them. can you resend? thanks, ken

In a message dated 11/20/2017 7:03:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Rob_Reilly
November 20Eight bolts on each hinge box. You need a pair of either 7/16" SAE or 1/4 BSF wrenches. All 32 of mine broke.

You can scroll up on this thread.

rob, thanks. ken

In a message dated 11/30/2017 6:23:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Rob_Reilly
November 30You can scroll up on this thread.
http://forums.jag-lovers.com

Xk150 lower door hingeHere is my 120 with 8. I don’t know, 150 might be different. [PICT0009]