XK8 resurrection

Hello Friends,
I am new to the XK8 form but have been a jag-lovers member since the days of rec.autos.alt! I write today to offer a short introduction and to ask a question. First the intro.
My name is Rick Lindsay and I live in Houston, Texas. I’m a 67-year-old, retired geophysicist with 12 cars, two of which are Jaguars; a 1973 E-Type 2+2 and a 1998 XK8 convertible. My 1966 S-Type and 1963 E-Type are sadly long gone. I’ll save the E-Type chatter for that forum, but I have a question regarding my XK8.
After hard-ish acceleration or even a little run time, the XK8’s dash gives an engine limp home mode error. Sorry, I can’t remember the exact wording. Anyway, I can’t feel any difference in engine performance (and haven’t really tried), but the warning message is on and the cruise control feature is deactivated. So the question is: Why does the engine monitor system send this error condition?
Thanks in advance, for any advice.

-rick, in still hot and steamy Houston

To save a lot of guesswork Rick, I would suggest you have the codes read to see what is flagged up. This will then give you an area to look at.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. I have the OBDII tool and app on my laptop. I just haven’t yet had both car and tool in the same place.

With the CC not working when the condition arises, it might pay to check the microswicht that cancels it out when you brake? This used to throw a fault on the dash of my XJR and cleaning the brake/cc switch cured mine.

Thanks! Will do. -rick