Xk8 stuck in park

how to take gear stick out of park.i know how to do it but want it to stay out for ever.
do i need a new GEARCHANGE CONTROL SOLENOID / GEARSHIFT INTERLOCK thanks
richard

1 Like

So just to be clear, are you saying that when you want to drive the car you have to manually depress the emergency release on the ski slope?

Yes, I don’t understand what you’re trying to achieve either. Do you want to fix the problem or have a work around? If the former, you need to find out why the solenoid isn’t releasing; could be a number of things including the brake pedal switch or a faulty solenoid. If you just want a work around, leave the car in N and accept that you’ll have to leave the key in the ignition.

If your lock-out is like my X-types, if you get down to the solenoid, it has a little plastic/derlin arm that rotates out to keep the shift lever from moving. You can take a heavy wire cutter or similar tool and simply cut off the offending part of the arm that engages the gear shift lever.

hello
thanks for reply.this is the first jag i have had for a number of years.i had two xjs one being a v12. and lots of xj6.in the past.
i want to fix it properly.i took out the star and put key type piece into hole as it says in manual.pulled it into reverse, took out key type piece then all ok.then .put in park and stuck again.sounds like you have done this job.
so is solenoid under gear stick??what would you do first.sorry to be so vague.
thanks
richard

hello
i want to fix it properly.i took out the star and put key type piece into hole as it says in manual.pulled it into reverse, took out key type piece then all ok.then .put in park and stuck again.sounds like you have done this job.
so is solenoid under gear stick??what would you do first.sorry to be so vague.
thanks
richard

hello
i just want to fix it so it is as it should be.
thanks
frichard

hello
so if i cut off something that should be there what will happen.why is it there in the fist place,sorry to question but confussed.
richard.

Hi Richard, just to save typing you can do a global reply rather than individual posts, we all see them :slight_smile:

I did wonder. Thanks for letting me know.this is new to me.
You guessed it.

In older cars, you can move the gear shift lever out of Park, and into any gear without being required to press on the Brake pedal first. Modern car makers felt that it is unsafe to be able to shift out of Park without pressing on the Brake pedal first, so they put a “Lock out” on the shifter. It is actuated by a solenoid actuated lever that blocks you from moving the shift arm. If you want to be able to take your car out of ‘Park’ without ever having to press on the Brake pedal ever again, you can simply cut off the part of the actuator that gets in the way of the shift arm. If you want your shift mechanism to be as factory original, and maintain the correct action of the ‘lock out’, then you will have to check to see if you are getting power to the solenoid on the shifter mechanism when you press on the Brake pedal with the car running. If you aren’t getting electricity to the solenoid, then you should work your way ‘backwards’ from there to find the electrical fault. If you are getting electricity at the solenoid, then it is either the solenoid itself, or the actuator isn’t mechanically moving like it should

I just went through this with my 99". It was a hit and miss getting it out of park.
Replaced brake switch and problem solved. Check and see if your brake lights are coming on?
Glenn

Richard,

First thing to do is to listen when you press the brake pedal with the ignition switched on. You should hear a firm click from under the J Gate and another slightly softer one when you release the pedal. If you don’t hear anything the most likely culprit will be the switch on the brake pedal but it could be a break in the wiring, a faulty release solenoid in the J Gate or less likely, a problem with one of the modules in the system.

Don’t worry about modules at this stage because the electrical chain between the brake pedal switch and the solenoid is complex.

If you do hear a click or at least some noise from the J Gate when you press the brake pedal and the shifter doesn’t release the solenoid must be jammed somehow.

Let us know what you find.

HELLO
thanks.walking to the car i was hoping brake lights would not work…for an easy fix.
but they work fine.what next.

When you step on the brake pedal do you hear the solenoid clicking?

Try many times, mine would work about 1 in 5 times.

Glenn

hello
i have 2 of these cars,so tried it on the one that works ok.put foot on brake.heard click right away…
then did the same on suspect car,no click at all.tried it in park and tried it in neutral.
so do i need a solenoid …is it easy to fit.can photos be uploaded on this site.
regards
richard.

IS THIS what i want??https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3LsAAOSwAItZjLID/s-l1600.jpg

Yes, that is the interlock solenoid P/N LNA5850AA but as others have suggested best to check to see if you receive volts on the connector when you press the pedal. No point in buying a new solenoid if the actuating voltage is missing. One connection is to ground (black wire), the other receives the actuating supply from the Body Processor Module (orange wire with green tracer). Colours correct for a 97 car but they may be different for later models.

As a matter of interest, does the keylock solenoid work? That is, can you remove the ignition key with the car in gear?

hello
getting somewhere.on good car cannot take key out when in gear.on suspect car CAN take key out when in gear.
which means???

The reason that I asked is because both solenoids share the same B+ supply to the BPM. On a 97’ car this comes via Fuse 7 (15A) in the Driver’s Side Fusebox. What year is your car because the fuse assignments change with MY.