XK8 v XKR - best overall?

Hi Guys,

Considering a pre-March 2001 XK8 convertible (annual license fee lower !); what are the pros and cons of each model ?

I can see that the R has better performance at the expense of a harder ride, and expensive Brembo brakes. Any other factors ? Presumably in the longer term the R will retain its value better and eventually appreciate more.

Top hydraulics seem to be a problem with these; brings to mind our '68 Mustang which, in 30 years, has never needed any attention in this regard !

Anthony

I have a 98 XK8 and it has all the power and performance that anyone would be able to use on a street. I suspect the R would be heavier on maintenance and gas. Once the hydraulic fluid is replaced the top is no trouble. Check that the timing chain tensioners, water pump and thermostat housing have been replaced.

Many thanks, Grahame - just as I’d have expected, really. Am familiar with the engine issues as already have an XJ8 4.0.

I’ve had my XK8 for three years now and I’ve put a hummungus amount of miles on it in the interim. Before that I had a 97 XJ6. Ditto for the high miles. The XK8’s stable mate is an X Type. Both cars get very good mileage. The only problem with this summer has been that it has often been too hot to put the top down. Thank God and Jaguar for climate control.