XKE Bodywork Assistance

I live in Washington DC. I have a 1970 XKE 2+2 Coup that has slight hood/bonnet damaged from a commercial truck. While the dent in the font right-hand-side is not small the accident put the hood out of alignment and unhinged one of the hood’s supports that attaches the hood to the car. The hood has to be removed, the hinge rewelded to the hood, stripped and repainted silver. I am looking for a body shop familiar with XKE jaguars in the metropolitan DC area that can repair the damage, re-spray and rehinge the hood. Any bodyshop recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The hinge is not welded to the bonnet. It is bolted…

1 Like

A post that includes ‘Washington DC’ and ‘Coup’ is enough to make me nervous.

But as to your question, here’s a photo of that area on my S2:

As Ray notes - it’s all bolted. The one place that might pop loose is the end of the piece that accepts the hinges (aka the trapeze) - it is a small circular piece that is brazed, not welded:

Sorry, no help on a shop recommendation.

I’m also in DC (Adams Morgan), and there are several of us on this list in the DMV area. Unfortunately we have limited options for skilled E-Type bodywork nearby, and many of us end up going to Lippincotts (in Sinking Springs PA) for high quality work. That said, we have found someone reasonably local (Monrovia, MD) who is extremely good for smaller jobs (which seems to describe your requirement). He works solo out of his home and is currently very backed up, but is the only local option I can recommend. Feel free to private message me for contact details or just to connect to another local DC owner.

Dave

1 Like

I had excellent work done on my 1970 2+2 by Abacus Racing in Virginia Beach. Very experienced shop on E types. Worth a call/visit.

Ahwahee,

You and Ray are correct. My mistake. It is the R/H side Valance and Duck Assembly that has come adrift. Any recommendations on where to get a good paint job?

David,

Thank you for the information. I have heard of Lippincotts but I am not interested in going to Sinking Springs. The Monrovia, MD option is worth exploring.

Glad to know there are several of you in the DMV area. I have never seen another XKE in the neighborhood.

Stephan

Stephan,

Regrets about your mishap. I live in Northern Virginia, but as with David L, I took my car toTerry Lippincott for my body work.

New Member - 1964 FHC

I collected the names and contact info for a few shops in the metro DC area that I can share; please PM me. The reason I went further afield is because all of the local shops had really long wait lists (this was as of ~Feb/Mar 2020). For reasons that are too complicated and boring to explain, I had gotten on Terry’s wait list in early 2019, so I was at the head of the line when I needed him.

Regards,

Bob