XKE S2 Battery Cables with Caps

Hi All,

The new battery cables installed on my friends '71 XKE S2 are the ones that have caps for connecting to the battery. The positive side cap looks to be made of a soft “silver” colored metal (lead?). The negative cap a brass material.

Question, while these caps seem to be snug, I notice that there is a hole on the top of each cap. Is there supposed to be a screw for each cap that screws into the battery posts to hold these caps/cables more securely?

Thanks, Bob

I believe there is supposed to be a self tapper inserted to secure the cap.

Yes. More importantly the way those cables are oriented results in a chance for a dead short across the terminals.

Yes, a screw into each post, possibly a pan head?

I painted the bronze-looking one using aluminum paint, someone else tinned theirs with solder – one way or the other the idea was to make it look like lead.

I think the original ground cable would have had a yellow label (sleeve) on it with the negative ground warning.

Geo, should I orient the cables in a different manner. I do not want a dead short.
Thanks, Bob

You need to route the ground cable and fix it in position so that there is no way that it can slide over and contact the positive terminal. Myself, I would prefer to have an insulated ground cable even if it is not correct for the car.

1 Like

And be prepared for your drill bit to “load up” when drilling through lead. You’ll have to stop more than once to clear the flutes of the bit,

Not sure which way is best - it is less of an issue with a battery that presents the posts on the outboard side.

Looks like the battery hold down is missing too. It would be a shame for the car to burn to a crisp after all the work you’ve put into it.

David,
Take another look. The battery hold down is clearly in position.
Regards
Chris

In position on my battery - seems to be missing from the subject battery (Bob’s).

You would be better off with insulated cables for both .

Walter

Right back at you! Take another look. The original poster’s photo is attached to the first post - battery with bright green top. I don’t see a battery hold down…

Apologies David,
I only saw the second photo, sorry.
Regards
Chris

Hi David, yes the hold down was never on this XKE. It is something that we need to add.
Thanks,
Bob